AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have multiple plastic boxes that will house electrical and low voltage (speaker wire, HDMI, RG6, Cat 5e, etc.). I was going to build MDF boxes around these and then put two layers of drywall and GG over the MDF boxes and the plastic boxes. How do I connect the MDF to the first layer of drywall? Should I caulk the MDF and let the caulk do the coupling between the MDF and the drywall?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
You don't have to go through all that effort for single-gang boxes. You can just seal the openings with acoustic sealant or buy putty pads.

CJ

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, that makes it a heck of a lot easier! I already have putty pads, though perhaps I should get some more. I think you've just saved me several hours!

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
No problem. FYI, my advice is based off of information from Ted White.

CJ

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Yes, single gang boxes just need to be sealed up airtight. For multi-gang boxes, you should consider a backer box. Same with ceiling cans. Little ones aren't so bad, but the big new construction cans need boxes.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
ted, since you bring up the point on new construction can boxes, do you know if it would be safe (and within code) to make these light boxes out of mdf or plywood only, or is it essential to put cement backer board on the inside?

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I might have to order a few more hangers. That's a good way to build the box, although I already bought IC, AT new work cans, so I was going to use the following:

http://archive2.avsforum.com/avs-vb/...d.php?t=654719

However, I may use hangers for this instead of the way this is done. I will have a few larger boxes (with seven channels of speakers, I'll need at least a box that large or perhaps two split boxes). Thanks for the information.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted White /forum/post/17036053

http://www.soundproofingcompany.com/...llation_guide/

This is new

Ted, that is a great article on backer boxes! A suggestion though to maybe add one step to ease with installation in case it isn't so obvious to others.

On page 10 it says:

Quote:
Make sure the Backer Box is installed at the same height of your joists or furring channel. The Backer Box needs to sit tight to the drywall.

Perhaps you could add a step showing the installation of two temporary supports, made of say scrap 2x4s, attached to the joists or furring channel, that hold the Backer Box in place while you attach the DC-04 clips.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
In2, thanks a lot for the comments. The romex curled up in the box holds up the box while you're messing with the drywall. Maybe that needs to be clearer

·
Registered
1,974 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted White /forum/post/17038035

In2, thanks a lot for the comments. The romex curled up in the box holds up the box while you're messing with the drywall. Maybe that needs to be clearer

No, I just missed that somehow!

But I wouldn't trust the wire to hold up the box. With my luck, the box would slip, rip the sheathing off the wire, the box would land on my foot, knock me off the ladder, and then land on my head!

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Yow. Well the boxes aren't so heavy as to cause an issue, fortunately.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts