AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've just started construction on our new home and the basement home theater that goes with it!

Here's the problem....we have 3 other rooms earmarked for 5.1 or 7.1 setups. Master bedroom, Gathering room and library/TV room. All of these rooms have built in cabinets where the TV or Plasma will live. We have the theater for critical movie viewing but need to accommodate good quality audio/video in each of these rooms. My very cool wife has requested we hide all speakers in the wall, cabinet or ceilings. Our cabinet builder can make anything we want. I just need to give him the speaker dimensions and placement. Room sizes range from 15x18 to 25 x 20. Ceiling height is 10 ft.

1. Does anyone have any experience or advice on how to do this in a fashion that will best preserve sound quality? I know putting cabinets around speakers is not ideal but that is what I have to do. This is not a battle I will win against a 5' 3" pure blooded hispanic female!

2. Any recommendations for speaker brands or types (ported/unported) that might work in this situation? The rear and center surrounds will need to be in wall in one room and in ceiling in the other 2.

3. Each room will also need a subwoofer. Any experience with in wall models or advice on what will work inside the cabinets?

Thanks to all in advance.

Jeff Galvin

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Jeff, if you want a really custom speaker installation, get ahold of some quality speaker kits and/or designs, and have the cabinetmaker incorporate speaker cabinets directly into the cabinet itself.

He would only need the internal volume and dimensions for each speaker, and he could build each compartment to suit the chosen drivers. A matching or contrasting grill cloth could be easily installed.

That way, you don't have to deal with speakers sitting inside a chamber they weren't designed to be in, or removeable grill-doors for access. Imagine speaker terminals built right into the cabinet itself.

The speaker enclosures could be made of stiffer wood than the rest of the furniture, and shallower compartments made for getting the volume right. Best of all, you wouldn't even be able to tell by looking.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
140 Posts
A couple of more tips. Of course you need to port to the front, and most likely a ported design can give you a better low freq tuning. The sub needs to have the apropriate spacing for porting as well and probably works best if it is front firing. If you have the room in wall and in ceiling, try to match speakers exactly to the mains (what the heck - it is only money) with same volume boxes.

I am on your side - I think Asthetics and good audio is possible (even practical). It takes a little more patience and a little more engineering, but is worth it in the long run.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Triad makes many find speaker products that could be used as you need. I'd definitely give them a look.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are there any general guidelines for putting existing speakers into cabinets?

The idea would be to build a cavity for the speaker and cover the opening with a cloth grill.

Should the cavity be larger than the speaker's cabinet or fit exactly? What kinds of problems might this cause and how do you best overcome them?

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
That's what I was addressing with my post; to eliminate the cabinet-within-a-chamber that would result. Of course, that makes upgrades a tad difficult. Still, it would be my first choice.

If you want to make spaces for boxed speakers, they should ideally be exactly the same size, with no space, which is as restrictive as my idea. Also, the front of the speaker should be flush with the cabinet edges, which makes fitting a grill cloth harder to do.

Your questions would probably be best addressed by your cabinetmaker.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.