Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI Guys,

We'll after reading and reading I,ve decided to put off my PJ purchase and finish the basement,which would include a theater/listening room,approx 21'x14'and 7'ceilings.(my part of the basement).This

will allow me to wait for the new PJ's and will make my wife happy(she doesn't approve of the equipt,spkrs and such that occupy our den).While I

already sold my mits 65-907 in anticipation of a PJ purchase I will have to

be subject to watching a 27".All my HD equipt,Processor,amps and stuff will

go in storage.(It kills me just to write it!!) Any suggestions on the new room would be greatly appreciated,Any suggestions/links to construction methods,materials,pics of your theaters,ect would be greatly appreciated

Hope the withdrawl is not too much........

Thanks,

Alex

·
Registered
482 Posts
Alex,

I feel your pain, my sony 1251 is bagged up, gear is in a closet,,,and my mom asked if the Indy 500 was going to be in high def so she can come over and watch it on the "big screen"! (I'm still a month away from completion)

I too am finishing my 11'9"x 24" theater and my office.

The withdrawal is brutal, I watch 2-3 movies a week, and listen to music for about 3-5 hours a week. Think of it as motivation to get it done quickly.

My suggestion is to look at evey picture in the members gallery and magazines you can find to get your inspiration.

I've seen a TON of great ideas in the members theaters!

good luck,

Robert

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Alex,

I have one suggestion regarding the dimensions for your room. The dimensions you have chosen are all multiples of each other. This will result in a room that accentuates a certain frequency much more than the others. I would try to move each of the walls in one foot giving the dimensions of 20x13x7. This way the frequency spectrum in the room will be more flat as each dimension will accentuate a different set of frequencies.

This is some great information on building techniques for isolating sound as well as for proper in room acoustics at www.auralex.com under the acoustics 101 link.

Good luck and have fun (as much as possible at this phase)

Kirk

·
Registered
324 Posts
[
Quote:
This will allow me to wait for the new PJ's and will make my wife happy(she doesn't approve of the equipt,spkrs and such that occupy our den).
This is thoroughly confusing to me....Although married and the owner of two wonderful kids along with a WAF, these issues dont seem to come into play.....Me and my wife are working together to build this theater room and although there are compromises; she would never complain or order removal of HT gear from any room.....She married a musician/gearhead and has embraced that for all the years of our marriage.....After purchasing some gear for our currently under construction HT, I lamented about not being ready for it in the HT and she demanded that I set it up in the living room for us to enjoy.....

Of course, I am not gonna go out on a limb and say she enjoyed my outlay of cash to acquire the gear :D

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by AV8042
HI Guys,

We'll after reading and reading I,ve decided to put off my PJ purchase and finish the basement,which would include a theater/listening room,approx 21'x14'and 7'ceilings.(my part of the basement).This

will allow me to wait for the new PJ's and will make my wife happy(she doesn't approve of the equipt,spkrs and such that occupy our den).While I

already sold my mits 65-907 in anticipation of a PJ purchase I will have to

be subject to watching a 27".All my HD equipt,Processor,amps and stuff will

go in storage.(It kills me just to write it!!) Any suggestions on the new room would be greatly appreciated,Any suggestions/links to construction methods,materials,pics of your theaters,ect would be greatly appreciated

Hope the withdrawl is not too much........

Thanks,

Alex
I've been exactly where you are, with a rear projection TV, 4' speakers, etc., in our family room. For good reason my wife wasn't happy with the arrangement and stupidly I fended her off for a few years. Then I realized in addition to being unfair to my wife, I wasn't really doing a good job of setting up a home theater.

We mutually agreed to finish the basement and I designed a home theater. She has been super-supportive, without getting in the way of "necessary" acquisitions and helping, when asked, in the decorating. Definitely a WIN-WIN situation.

With regard to general advice, my only two, major "I wish I had done it differentlys" are:

1) I wish that I had prewired every conceivable future speaker mounting position, and

2) I wish I had done a better job of planning access to the back of my components.

Enjoy.

Larry

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
THanks for the great response and please keep em coming,I'm writing everything down.(including D Olds Wife ,I'll show that post to my Wife) Larry,my wife is very accepting of the setup in the basemsnt and has already offered decorating suggestions.And Kirk great suggestion I'll look into it.. Robert, hope you finish your theater soon....

Alex

·
Registered
324 Posts
I'm writing everything down.(including D Olds Wife ,I'll show that post to my Wife)

----------

LOL....I think the best thing to do is try and get the wife involved....accept her decorating suggestions....I chose the gear and the hardware, I let her get involved in the construction and decorating....

Of course, my wife is likely a severe acception to the rule....I mean, how many in this forum have had their wife actually build a bar....She mans the circular & chop saws while we work....LOL

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Alex,

I'm about 90% completed my basement HT. I totally agree with Larry, in prewiring the speaker outlets. I did this to make things neat. Also if you do prewire - make sure you do it up to code and pick up speaker cable that is rated for in wall use (FT-4 is the rating I think). The wire may cost you a bit more but it won't gum up and you will be safer if there ever is a fire. If you want easy to use and relatively cheap wallplates.... pick up the Leviton Quickports excellent modular wall plates with different types of outlets. I posted the url in a another thread.

Secondly, I put all my A/V gear along the back wall out about 1.5 - 2 ft so I can access the wiring. If the AV gear was at the front beside the screen and turned on you will see a bunch of LCDs, LEDs etc which I find distracting when watching a movie. Also putting the gear at the back really makes the front really neat and more spacious. For me this is important because this room also serves as my 2 ch listening room so I have 5 speakers along the front.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.