AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
810 Posts
I would go with a pro amp. It will give you flexibility in future builds.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rightbrained /forum/post/18181888


I would go with a pro amp. It will give you flexibility in future builds.

+1 and get the EP2500.


Headroom in reserve is great thing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainkidd /forum/post/18181933


What is a pro amp?


Parts Express shows the EP1500 as discontinued and out of stock.

Rack mountable...bridgable,etc

Yes, they are discontinued and have new model numbers now.


The EP2500 is now EP4000.....ebay delivered for
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is there a different type of amp that I might want to consider that would work for the entire speaker system including the subs or do they need their own dedicated amp?


I am currently not using any type of amp, just the Deonon AVR590 receiver.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,917 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainkidd /forum/post/18181933


What is a pro amp?


Parts Express shows the EP1500 as discontinued and out of stock.

Rack mount amp - the SA240 you listed is a plate amp intended to be mounted in the enclosure (like a commercial sub). Someone with a THT can chime in but I don't think there's a place to install a plate amp on them? I've seen a couple pictures where users built a box for the plate amp which kinda' defeats the purpose of using a plate amp in the first place it seems



The EP1500 can be had for $199 shipped from B&H photo (which I find hilarious since the EP2000 - which is the exact same amp with different paint on the front - is $300 shipped from them) but as said above for slightly more you can usually find a used EP2500 (try eBay or Craigslist) which is the big brother of the EP1500...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,195 Posts
he could also get the a500 behringer
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainkidd /forum/post/18181950


Is there a different type of amp that I might want to consider that would work for the entire speaker system including the subs or do they need their own dedicated amp?


I am currently not using any type of amp, just the Deonon AVR590 receiver.

You need a seperate amp for the subs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks again for the help everybody, you guys are pretty damn good! I found a EP1500 for $200 including shipping so I think I will go with that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,241 Posts
Get an ep4000... you can always use it for something else down the road if you decide years from now to build some other type of sub.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainkidd /forum/post/18182420


This one seems to be readily available for around $150. Is it just as good as the EP1500?


What is your max SPL requirement? Add 20dBs to it and figure out the Watts needed.


The A500 is an incredible amp, I love it for 2 channel options and it has RCA connections. Its obviously not as powerful as the EP1500 but do you need more power?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainkidd /forum/post/18182299


Thanks again for the help everybody, you guys are pretty damn good! I found a EP1500 for $200 including shipping so I think I will go with that.

Go for it and if isnt enough you can upgrade to the EP4000 later.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
810 Posts
You can use a remote relay switch to turn the amp on when your receiver powers up or use a smart strip.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,636 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rightbrained /forum/post/18183298


You can use a remote relay switch to turn the amp on when your receiver powers up or use a smart strip.

Yes, then that increases the cost of the pro-amp, and you still have all the other problems =] Also, not all receivers have remote relay functionality
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnyt /forum/post/18183219


I'd go with plate amps (and did) unless you like turning your amps on and off by hand every time you use them, having potential ground loop issues, having noisy fans, balanced/unbalanced connector issues, possible low input voltage problems, etc.


I went with 2 LT.500's which are admittedly, overkill.

These are all valid points. Is there a down side to using plate amps other than the obvious having two instead of one? How noisy is the pro amp?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,917 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainkidd /forum/post/18183396


These are all valid points. Is there a down side to using plate amps other than the obvious having two instead of one? How noisy is the pro amp?

The downside is $/watts. The EP2500 (EP400) will give a real 650W/channel at 4 ohms for $300 (used to be able to get the EP2500 for $270 shipped before they discontinued it
). To get that kind of output from a pair of plate amps will cost twice as much



Regarding noise - yes they are noisy. It's pretty common to replace the stock fan in the Behringers with something quieter. Some have had trouble with theirs overheating with the wimpier fans though too...


It's all about personal preference. If you think you may upgrade down the road a pro amp will give you tons more flexibility if you're willing to work around the downsides. All of what notnyt says are possible issues but many use pro amps without any of those (other than having to turn them on and off by hand which now that I'm used to doing it is but a minor inconvenience)
 
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Top