AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone

Long time lurker, first time posting. I recently bought a townhome that has a Bose built-invsible system installed. In my living room, I've got the Virtually Invisible 191 speakers in my ceiling with the sub hidden in one of the walls. Upstairs, in my laundry room is the box containing the various amps for the multi-room audio. Downstairs next to my TV, I've got a wallplate with two bose-link ports for the multi-room audio and for the 5.1 surround.

Right now, I've got everything going in to the VS-2 (biggest piece of crap in the word) and then going from it to my Lifestyle 48 head unit. Every time I turn on my system (using my harmony remote) then handshake fails between the DirecTV receiver, the VS-2, and the AV-48 head-unit and I'm greeted with a "No Video Signal" on my Samsung TV. I have to power off the AV-48 and then power it back on in order to get a video signal. This drives me nuts!

What I'd like to do is use my nice Onkyo receiver that I've got sitting in a closet and create a central AV rack in coat closet that has the room to house everything. I'd like to place my DirecTV receiver, Xbox 360, and PopcornHour A-210 in the closet with my Onkyo all connected via HDMI. I'd then like to run a single HDMI from my Onkyo through the ceiling to my living room TV. Rather than buy new in-celing speakers, I'd like to re-use my Bose speakers, if possible.

Is it possible to keep them hooked to the Bose amps and wire them to my Onkyo reciever so that I can use the Onkyo handle all audio/video processing for my TV, but use the Bose AV-48 (relocated to my master bedroom) to drive the whole-home audio distro portion of things. If I'm watching TV in the living room, I wouldn't have the AV-48 pushing music to the other zones in the house.

If this type of setup is an issue, could I simply cut the wires from the speakers from my living room so that they're no longer hooked to the Bose amps and then run new speaker wires from the Bose speakers to my Onkyo? If it's just a matter of running wires from the bose speakers, what do I do about the sub? Since it's hidden in the wall somewhere, do I just buy a normal sub and run a speaker wire at the same time I run my HDMI to the TV? Or is there some way to re-use the existing sub, as well?

I'm trying to maintain cost which I why I'd like to reuse the existing speakers, if possible. I eventually plan to add a projector system with full 7.2 surround sound in my upstairs loft space, which is another reason why I'm trying to re-use what I've got without buying new speakers right now.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Wayne

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm not a bose dealer and have limited knowledge of the product (in fact restricted to ripping it out!) but your approach look good to me.

I would imagine you would be able to get the sub to work too - it will either be a line level or speaker level connection - either way you should be able to get it to work. You may need another amp purely for the sub in the closet though (you might be able to use the existing Bose with a bit of luck).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts