AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm completely new when it comes to home theater audio hardware. I just got a very old receiver and a pair of very old floor speakers.

Receiver: Onkyo TX-SV414PRO (only has analog inputs and outputs)

Speakers: Pair of Infinity Sterling SS 2005

DVD Player: Coby DVD-628

I've connected the DVD player to the receiver with a white and red rca cable. The receiver is connected to the speakers using wires (what are those called?). I put in a DVD and audio comes out of both speakers.

My question is, how does this work? The transformation of digital to analog is confusing me. My understanding is that the audio on DVDs is 5.1 Dolby Digital AC3. Normally, the dvd player sends that to the receiver digitally via spdif and the receiver decodes it and sends it to the speakers via analog. But in this case, is the dvd player "decoding" it? I thought I would need DVD player with a "built-in dolby digital decoder" for that, but I'm pretty sure my cheap dvd player doesn't have that. But all dvd players have a DAC right? What is the difference between a built in digital decoder and the DAC?

Thanks for the help.

edit: Just read this at HowStuffWorks: "DVD players with 5.1 channel outputs will always have Dolby Digital decoders" Is that true, meaning that my dvd player has a digital decoder? (It has analog 5.1 channel outputs). I was thinking that was something only for high-end dvd players but I guess its actually standard?

·
Registered
270 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidusX /forum/post/14249894

edit: Just read this at HowStuffWorks: "DVD players with 5.1 channel outputs will always have Dolby Digital decoders" Is that true, meaning that my dvd player has a digital decoder? (It has analog 5.1 channel outputs). I was thinking that was something only for high-end dvd players but I guess its actually standard?

That player does have a built-in decoder, so if your receiver has 5.1 analog in, you may enjoy surround sound. I actually have a Coby DVD-514, and I find that the digital audio has a lot of dropouts--but the analog out has no problems.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts