AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I am building a house and am going to use two plasmas, a 42" in the bedroom and a 50" in the den. I'm leaning to the Panasonic commercial models (EDTV for 42"), but I am awaiting more feedback as they are just hitting the market (especially the 50"). Anyway, I am building them in over the foreplaces in both rooms (please no discussion about the merits of the fireplaces, hell, they will almost never be used anyway). What I need to know is how to rough in the openings, specifically, how much depth do I need. I want the displays flush with the wall and framed pretty closely. I have ample room for venting above and below the units (behind the wall). However, if the unit is recessed so it is flush, and it is framed, how do I mount it.

I know the articulating mount will work, but it seems like overkill, and it adds 5" of depth. Is there some way to simply wall mount it? How much clearance do I need around and behind?

Also, any suggestions for proper ventilation?

TIA

Baxter

·
Registered
184 Posts
I just did this with an articulating mount.

You need nearly 10" of depth behind and decent support (studs) in the correct place. I rebuilt the wall with new studs. Building from scratch makes it easy - download the specs for the mount you want and have studs placed in the appropriate places while you are still framing. Mounting is dead easy then.

Mine finished to 1/8" clearance either side and 1" above and below. I needed the inch to get hands in to pull it out. I checked the temp after 4 hours running and it was still way in the green (right where it usually was before I built it in actually)

If you have the depth then I'd say pay the extra for the articulating mount. You can pull the display out and it looks awesome "floating" in a darkened room. In my case, it means I can turn it and watch it from the dining table also, a great talking point...

The disadvantage of just mounting it on the wall (for me) was that the mount can be seen from the side in my room, and it is UGLY. I needed to frame anyway - the stuff in there was not up to the job. If that's not an issue then you might want to do it that way for simplicity.

If you are having the place built from scratch, I would definately build it in though - if only for the cool factor.

My only other suggestion would be to leave space for the next size up if you can. You know you'll want one...

·
Registered
711 Posts
Aatk - Your setup sounds very interesting. Any pictures?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Panabax, "block in" the mounting area. When building, go to any walls where you may hang heavy items, TVs, mirrors and add 2x12s sideways between the studs. Measure all your distances, write them down. Take pictures. Then when your house is done, you don't have to tell the wife that you "cannot mount it two inches to the left because the stud is two inches to the right."

for the TVs, though, the 2x12s mean you cannot just poke a hole in the sheetrock to run wires. So make sure you have a plan for wires and power.

I agree with the suggestions for articulating mount, that solves the biggest issue with built-ins. And the required depth should not be a big issue since you are building.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.