AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any rear projection HD-ready sets designed to be built-in to a wall with only the screen showing?

A second option would be a regular set with a bezel that would lend itself to being built-in.

The TV will be located within an "equipment closet" with full access from the back. I'd like the screen face to be flush with the front wall of the theater. The look I want is for the TV to look like a plasma display hanging on the wall. I don't want to see the base of the TV. I'm not totally opposed to building a small "shadow box" around the screen since a regular RPTV would have to sit behind a stud wall, but the bezel would have to lend itself to the application.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Well, if you don't mind taking it apart a little and you don't use the speakers in the RPTV, you can pull off the speaker grilles and take off the front panel of a Toshiba 56H80 such that the bezel around the screen sticks out a little bit and you could build a box around it.

BTW, for those of you that want to know how to take off the speaker grilles on a 56H80, you just put your hand in them from the bottom and yank them off. They are held on with velcro-like mating plastic pads.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hadn't thought of that, but it's obvious now that you mention it. It just so happens this particular model is my leading candidate right now for price and performance reasons, and because there is so much info available on how to maximize it's potential.

Some smaller (56") models look like they have smaller bases that would lend themselves to being built in, but because of the 8' projection screen, the normal seating position will be about 10' back, so I don't want to go any smaller.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Have you thought about a front projector setup as a rear projector using something like a blackhawk screen?

If you ever wanted to upgrade your setup you would just have to replace the projector not the entire tv setup.

Just a thought.

Regards,

Brian

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Brian,

I'm already set up for a front projector. I already have the screen and all the signal cables and power routed to a rear sofit for the projector. The RPTV is for watching cable TV shows, and until the projector is added, for DVD movies as well. Regular old TV looked bad enough on my (calibrated) 52" 4:3 Pioneer that I just couldn't imagine watching the same thing on an 8' screen. Add to that the cost to operate the D-ILA projector I want, and the inability to watch a front projector with the lights on, and the RPTV became a key part of the overall theater/family room design. However, I do want to keep my investment in the RPTV "modest" so that I can begin saving toward the projector. From that standpoint I am VERY pleased that the cost of an HD-ready RPTV has dropped into the $3500 range. It had been about a year since I last checked and I was expecting to have to pay more like $6000.

David

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.