AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm searching for a new television for the bedroom. I want a 16:9 LCD ~ 25". I'd prefer it with a built in tuner so I can just hang the tv on the wall and not rely on a tuner box that I need to sit on some piece of furniture. I did some reading but need some clarification.

When advertised with a built in digital tuner. Does this mean it's a QAM tuner for cable television? That's what I'm assuming but need clarification. With this, it'll display higher channel numbers and HD, right? Or is it just the higher channel numbers?

I see a lot of advertised sets with 1280x768 (15:9), not 1280x720 (16:9). I read some good threads about this. It seems, what I expected, is that I'll get lines on the top and bottom while watching 16:9 content. I don't really know if I'll like this or not. Does it bother any of you? This type of monitor will be perfect for my office, but I'm not so sure about the bedroom.

I happened to seea 23" ILO in Walmart but no built in tuner. I read about the 27" Sceptre at Costco/Tiger Direct. This looks nice and has the build in tuner but it's on the large side of what I wanted. Price is right though. Their smaller one is the 1280x768.

Help please

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
"built in digital tuner" does not necessarily mean QAM tuner. Check carefully. It quite often will mean OTA only.

If you plan to use it with cable, and you don't want to have a cable box, you probably want to get a "digital cable ready", which means it has a QAM tuner and CableCard. This will be available in 26 in Sharp and LG only.

Not to worry about the 720 vs. 768. In all probability it will fill the screen with no bars. The only units that don't do this are some computer monitors that are trying their best to also be TV sets. (On the 768, the pixels are not square so you still have 16:9.)

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I'll check out the Sharp model. If not, I guess I'll just pick up a cheapie and use a cable box.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks...but I wanted to stay around $800 or so. I ended up going to Costco and buying a 20" Toshiba. Picture quality is great but the cable tuner is very slow. I suppose I'll be getting an HD box for it anyway so that shouldn't be an issue later. Perfect size. Wife like sit. Has a built in DVD that the wife said would come in handy for her (aerobics dvd's) while ironing. I didn't really care for that but whatever.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
LOL. If you aern't worried abt tuner..then there is a 27'' Westinghouse LCT TV as well for around 899..at BB I think

·
Banned
10,928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_R
I'm searching for a new television for the bedroom. I want a 16:9 LCD ~ 25". I'd prefer it with a built in tuner so I can just hang the tv on the wall and not rely on a tuner box that I need to sit on some piece of furniture. I did some reading but need some clarification.

When advertised with a built in digital tuner...
If you have cable, you want to buy a DCR (Digital Cable Ready) TV that supports 480i/480p/720p/1080i. A DCR-TV includes speakers, NTSC/ATSC/QAM tuner and CableCARD slot. The CableCARD enables the TV to decrypt digital channels sent by the provider and the NTSC/ATSC/QAM tuner will receive all analogue/digital/HD stations you have subscribed to.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyj19
Not to worry about the 720 vs. 768. In all probability it will fill the screen with no bars. The only units that don't do this are some computer monitors that are trying their best to also be TV sets. (On the 768, the pixels are not square so you still have 16:9.)
No, all 1280x768 LCD panels have 15:9 AR, ie. "square pixels".

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsl_80
No, all 1280x768 LCD panels have 15:9 AR, ie. "square pixels".
It does appear I gave a wrong answer about this.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll be damned if the tuner didn't go out on me today. How ironic. Ok, I wouldn't be using it long, but I paid for it and it's defective so the tv is going back to Cocstco. I don't want the same one. Now what????

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
I've visited this thread cuz I am also in the market for an LCD w/HD tuner. I can only find 2 sets at reasonable, though still-too-high, cost:

Samsung LN-R269D

Toshiba 27HL95

The specs suggest the Sammy has the better display, but the Toshiba has a cablecard slot and TVGuide on-screen, and is cheaper.

Joe_R, I've looked and there is not an HD-tuner equipped LCD in the $800 price range, at any screen size.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Laserfan and Joe_R, i've been waiting for the Westinghouse LTV-27w6 to come out in a few weeks and i understand it should be around the price i'm hoping for... $800-$900? there's another thread on it...
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=568531

... the best thing about it, in my mind, is the integrated HD tuner, in 27" or 32" i believe.

here's Westinghouse's site: http://www.westinghousedigital.com/products/

You are so right, there's just nothing really available yet in the LCD group with integrated tuner, and still reasonably affordable.

~ wendy

·
Registered
471 Posts
The ONLY LCD TV out there with a built-in HD tuner under $1200 is the Hisense TL-3220HD at TigerDirect. It's a 32". Hisense makes the US Digital external HDTV tuner for Wal-Mart, and is a major CHinese manufacturer.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, at this point I'll take whatever I can get that will work. The Toshiba is going back and still haven't decided if I want a replacement or just wait.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendek
Laserfan and Joe_R, i've been waiting for the Westinghouse LTV-27w6 to come out in a few weeks...
Thanks for the link. It looks like added price pressure if not the horse to ride.

For a change I am actually holding-off the WIFE on an electronics purchase! She OK'ed my getting the Samsung but I just can't see spending that much on a secondary TV...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.