AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just built a brand new HTPC, but getting a loud buzz from center channel, home audio and pc specs below

Marantz 8801 AV Pre

Acurus A-250 center channel amp

Parasound A21 mains amp

Dual svs SB2000 subs

All plugged in to a monster power HPD1800 conditioner/power strip

HTPC

Cooler master m2 620W power supply

Asus gryphon z87 motherboard

Crucial vengeance 1866 Ram 8GB

Evga GTX 780 OC video card - I think problem source

120GB samsung evo SSD HD

WD 2TB HD

Intel i5 4670K CPU

Fractal Node 605 case

I am getting loud buzzing out of my center channel ONLY when the GPU is put under a load, regular web surfing, playing flac files wi fubar 2000, and using xbmc to watch ripped blurays the sound is non existent. Any type of pc gaming with more modern GPU intensive games I'm getting a loud buzzing sound from the center channel. I use an hdmi cable from my GTX 780 to the marantz 8801, when I unplug the hdmi cable the noise is gone along with all audio and video of course. I have tried other hdmi cables and the problem is still there. What can I do? Thanks, Chris

Ps: I had used an Acer RL 70 pc as a HTPC for one use before upgrading and never had any "ground loop" problems when gaming.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Any reasoning my 620w bronze bower supply capacitors can't keep up with the extra load of my over clocked i4 4670k 3.4 OC to 4.4ghz ?

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
The GTX 780 has a TDP of 250W and requires a 600W PSU at minimum, so you're cutting it pretty close, depending on how many other power-hungry components you have. If you open your case, can you hear the card itself making noise, or are your speakers the only source? If the card itself makes noise, you probably have coil whine that the audio system is picking up, and if the card itself is silent, you're probably overtaxing the PSU. You have a K-series CPU, so if you're overclocking at all, it wouldn't surprise me if your PSU is operating at > 90% load.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives  /t/1519675/built-new-htpc-now-getting-ground-loop-noise-under-gpu-load#post_24404812

The GTX 780 has a TDP of 250W and requires a 600W PSU at minimum, so you're cutting it pretty close, depending on how many other power-hungry components you have. If you open your case, can you hear the card itself making noise, or are your speakers the only source? If the card itself makes noise, you probably have coil whine that the audio system is picking up, and if the card itself is silent, you're probably overtaxing the PSU. You have a K-series CPU, so if you're overclocking at all, it wouldn't surprise me if your PSU is operating at > 90% load.

My card is dead silient, you think switching to a larger psu might be my fix? Say 850w

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm going to try and get a ground from the new pc to the marantz tomorrow morning. This current state of ground loop has my questioning why I bothered to upgrade to a gaming spec pc in the first place

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscorv58  /t/1519675/built-new-htpc-now-getting-ground-loop-noise-under-gpu-load#post_24405313

I'm going to try and get a ground from the new pc to the marantz tomorrow morning. This current state of ground loop has my questioning why I bothered to upgrade to a gaming spec pc in the first place
no luck on the ground from the video card to the phono of the marantz. I just pulled the rca that leads to the acurus amp and for now if I play in stereo mode the noise is gone. I wonder if the other channels are quiet is due to the fact that they use xlr connections .

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcain  /t/1519675/built-new-htpc-now-getting-ground-loop-noise-under-gpu-load#post_24416467

Well

Thanks for checking up on me, I haven't had a chance to set up the grounding. I should have some feedback on Sunday.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts