AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never seen anyone ask this question before so I am hoping that it is a non issue..

If I buy a projector, say the NEC LT150, and I plan on having it for many years (5+). Over those years I expect to go through several bulbs. Is there any danger of these bulbs becoming obsolete and hard to find at a decent price or at all?

Thanks

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
This is a valid concern. My solution was to place a jar near the A/V rack and drop in a buck for every DVD I view. By the time the bulb warranty is up on my NEC VT540 (six months or 2000 hours), I'll have a spare bulb on hand. By next year I'll have two on hand, and replace them as I use them.

The disturbing thing is the trend is going the wrong way - the older LCD projectors often shared a single bulb type between multiple models and even across different projector manufacturers. Now the bulbs tend to be specific to one model from one manufacturer. For example, NEC first shipped the VT540 and the LT150 in year 2000, and they are both XGA units with similar lumen ratings, but they use different bulbs. The ever-increasing projector performance may be the cause of this, but the net result is we may have projectors which get obsoleted before they wear out.

There have already been several threads about people looking for bulbs for the Davis 450 after Davis folded. I guess that's a worst case, but obviously it could happen.

Gary

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.