AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure it's probably been done before, but can someone compare lamp lifes of the various technologies?

Rear Projection (Lamp)

Rear Projection (LED)

LCD (Lamp/Bulb)

LCD (LED)

Plasma

It seems Rear Projection bulbs/leds don't last nearly as long as LCD or Plasma from what I've read. What's the reason for this if I'm correct?

·
Registered
735 Posts
Halogen lamps will last 2-3 years of normal use. Its like the LCD projector at your office.

Rear projection LED ???? They exist???

LCD Fluorescent- 50,000 hours

LCD LED- No really real yet, but when they are, they will be 100K+ hours (semiconductors don't really die.

Plasma- 10-20K hours, but let the plasma people chime in on this one.

DB

·
Registered
732 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBLASS /forum/post/0

Halogen lamps will last 2-3 years of normal use. Its like the LCD projector at your office.

Rear projection LED ???? They exist???

LCD Fluorescent- 50,000 hours

LCD LED- No really real yet, but when they are, they will be 100K+ hours (semiconductors don't really die.

Plasma- 10-20K hours, but let the plasma people chime in on this one.

DB

Plasma- there isn't a lamp. The higher quality plasma manufacturers are touting a 60K hour 1/2 life (60k hours to half brightness).

There was recently a thread asking if anyone had hit 30k hours. I don't believe anyone had, but there were some 5+ year old High Usage sets & their owners felt that they were as bright as new.

Edited to correct incorrect 1/2 life number.

·
Banned
469 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBLASS /forum/post/0

Plasma- 10-20K hours

Not even close. 60k to half brightness and then a quick turn up of your settings will give you another 60k. Or 32.5 years at 10 hours a day. "Bulb" life is an absolute non-issue with any of the flat panel technologies.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.