AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once I get my projector, it will be used as my main tv. I'll watch tv and movies and play games on it. My question is about how long should I expect to get before the bulb needs to be replaced. I know it says like 3000 hours, but just curious in terms of like months, weeks days, whatever, you guys who use your projectors often are getting out of your bulbs. 300 bucks is steep for a light bulb and I would hate to have to replace it once a month. Also can u change it yourself? or does it have to be serviced???

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
What pj do you have? Every pj lists its own average (or median) lamp life.

BUT ... the lamps for the same pj vary greatly, too. (Read the threads about a Z1 lamping popping at 600 hrs and a X1 lamp popping at 1100 hrs.) Yes, you can replace the lamp yourself. Instructions should be in your manual.

Let's say you're going to use your pj 5 hrs per day. 3000 hrs will give you 600 days. But again your lamp may last only 1000 hrs. So if you don't want to be 'stranded' for a week or more, you should get a spare on hand. Just run your original lamp past the warranty period - usually 90 days or 250 hours, which ever comes first. Then order a replacement lamp. Put in the replacement lamp right away. (Basically you want to make sure the new lamp doesn't die within the warranty period.)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm leaning towards an x1 right now. Are you saying to call up and say my light popped, so that they will send me a new one??? i dont wuite follow

·
Registered
844 Posts
he thinks, your original or new lamp probably got only 90 days warranty from date of qurchase. So from my deductions of what he's saying is that to Use the Brand new original lamp for 90 days from the date of purchase, if it goes bad you can claim warranty within that 90 day warranty period. If you plan on buying a spare bulb, purchase it after your original bulb warranty expires. When that new bulb comes in, take out that original bulb and install that new spare bulb, you've got 90 days from the date of purchase of that new spare bulb, so you might as well use it for that 90 days in case it goes bad.

Lets say you purchased a new spare lamp(untested) a year ago, then install it when needed and it don't work, Yer out of luck because that 90 day warranty is a gonner. You'll say to yerself, hmm, I must have gotten a dud and yer out $300.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Exactly pochoboy. Thanks for deciphering.

CarFanatic, the important point is that it doesn't matter what the listed lamp life is (3000 or 4000 or whatever), if you lamp goes bad after the warranty period (starting from the date of purchase) you're responsible for it. Of course if it dies after 91 days (or 251 hrs) I'm sure you can call Infocus and have a friendly discussion, but if it dies at six months or 1000 hrs you're probably s*** out of luck.

So if you can't stand any outage at all you need to get a spare lamp as described. I originally read that from Scott the mod.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.