AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I complain about my PJ and its bulbs. I spent, quite honestly, most of the weekend reviewing BULB posts, and I see quite a few people who are not getting a heck of alot of life out of their bulbs. It seems to be quite "hit or miss."

I've seen Z1 posts with 250 hours bursting...

And other PJ models bursting, exploding etc bulbs.

I think PJ's are great! One of my favorite toys EVAR!

But, something is amiss with these bulb manufacturers. And I have yet to have a good grip of understanding what is going on with PJ bulbs.

I don't think it is the pj manufacturer. I think it is the bulb makers and quality control issues therein.....and I don't understand why none of us who have these issues can't get a straight answer about this.

My bulb (which needs to be replaced) is on backorder. That tells me something.

Something isn't right in PJ land, no matter the PJ maker in my opinion.

I'd like definitive answers ( not trial and error opinion) like:

1. Do you lose bulbtime each time you power the thing on and off? If so, how much?

2. How long is a 200watt UHP bulb supposed to last? On any pj?

3. Cool the thing? Shut if off abrubtly?

4. Why would a bulb turn ON on a countdown, but shut off before the countdown is finished? If the thing turns on, the bulb is????

5. Should you really unseat the bulb, look at it and then replace the housing? or leave the thing alone always after initial install?

6. What causes the explosions/shattering....

7. etc etc.

8. Answers to these questions still seem to be the same as last year when I visited this forum almost everyday. "Nobody really knows. "

I don't think that bodes well for PJ owners or PJ manufacturers. It shouldn't be this much of a "crapshoot" to run these things.

My 1/2 cent for tonight.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Some bulb facts and opinions

Bulbs will remain a problem because:

- The burners are made from quartz glass, any impurities will shorten life

- Extreme temperatures (the plasma arc inside reaches 1000 degrees Celsius)

- High pressure

- Evaporation of the electrodes

- Diffusion of the gasses through the quartz

The bulb manufacturers try to make as good a product as technology allows, and the bulbs are all tested before they are sold. (From a batch some will be kept running for months; its almost impossible that a bad batch makes it to the customers, at least not without knowing)

Sure there are melons among them, but if you read the forum you will see that most bulb failures happen to only a few pj types.

This indicates a fault in the pj more than one in the bulb (cooling).

Also some people complain of multiple blow ups in their pj while others with the same pj have no problems.

My guess would be that these pj's run the bulbs outside the specs (most likely at a higher than allowed wattage, badly calibrated at the factory).

Run a burner at lab conditions and you will be amazed how long it will last. Slam the same bulb in a badly designed/calibrated pj and you can use it for fireworks at new years eve :)

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
well for explosive bulbs thats caused because someone touched the bulb face.. this si why you dont touch the light that come in holegen floor lamps or cars..

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I read the forum. Its all over the map. You haven't convinced me, yet.

I get an average of 500 hours per $400 bulb.

Not good enough, and I baby the thing.

If you do a "bulb or lamp" search, you will see many others with the same issue, irregardless of PJ model.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Would bulbs last longer if you turned it on and never shut it down?

When they test them do they turn them on and off daily?

If they don't maybe they should.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Have 120 uhp bulb and had over 4500 hours on it before pj died. pj died before bulb did. you are reading about only the negatives that people experience, not the positives that people experience. if you have negative results one is prone to complain moreso than one who has only positive experiences. there are many pj bulbs that last past spec.

cycling pj does not affect pj as much as you believe. i can cycle 3-4 times a day and run it for 6-8 hours total a day and not suffer any sideffects.

dont believe these bulbs are badly designed or calibrated incorrectly. thats an urban myth that gets repeated many times where people start believing.these pj's are UL listed which would not allow pj to be sold anywhere in the USA with a product that runs outside of parameters that could cause damage.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gangrew
Would bulbs last longer if you turned it on and never shut it down?
They may last longer that way but you'd probably get less actual use out of it, not more. There are 168 hours in a week but most people only watch their PJ maybe 2 to 10 hours.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by coug7669
Have 120 uhp bulb and had over 4500 hours on it before pj died. pj died before bulb did. you are reading about only the negatives that people experience, not the positives that people experience. if you have negative results one is prone to complain moreso than one who has only positive experiences. there are many pj bulbs that last past spec.

cycling pj does not affect pj as much as you believe. i can cycle 3-4 times a day and run it for 6-8 hours total a day and not suffer any sideffects.

dont believe these bulbs are badly designed or calibrated incorrectly. thats an urban myth that gets repeated many times where people start believing.these pj's are UL listed which would not allow pj to be sold anywhere in the USA with a product that runs outside of parameters that could cause damage.
Understand your points. My PJ has gone through 4 bulbs in one year at a cost of $400 per bulb. I only average about 400 hours per bulb. Manufacturer of PJ doesn't see a problem.

I do gripe. Yep. Costs me $1.00 an hour at this rate.

Not right. I complain. Yep.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
amen wonderment

pen25 - the exploding bulbs are not due to "touching" the bulb. Look at a failed halogen, the grease causes the glass to melt and deform. I can show you a pix of my exploded bulb and its nothing like it.

for all the >1000 hour testimonies, there are dozens of

·
Registered
651 Posts
change your pj position away from piano. try different outlet. give more clearance and see if you can get more than 400 hrs.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Done all that and then some. Not a newbie to paying for new bulbs, nor a newbie of attempting to do quite a few things to attempt to get more bulb life. Nothing seems to work.

As much as I would like it too.

bulb #1 650 hours

bulb #2 550 hours

bulb #3 350 hours

bulb #4 451 hours etc etc.

At $400 a pop this is ridiculous for an initial PJ cost of $2700 in 2003.

PJ: Sanyo PLC-XU30 Phillips 200 watt UHP Bulb. (the culprit)

Absolutely BEAUTIFUL image!

However, due to the continuous lack of remotely acceptable bulb life...

I am on a mission now, no question. I'm angry.

Wanna sit in my shoes? Trust me, you wouldn't. You'd go broke fast!

Something is just not right here, but I cannot seem to get to the bottom of it! And it is certainly not for the lack of trying.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Does your PJ display temp in the service mode.

My L300 displays 2 different temps one usually stays at 82 degrees F. And the other hangs around 160 degrees F.

Don't know if this well do you any good or if you can actually read the temp anywhere in serv mode. Maybe compare with other similar models.

Another thing to try is measuring the temp coming out of your PJ fan and compare that with others. There would be some other factors to consider such as room ambient temp & Thermometer differences.

This is assuming your problem is cooling related. ?

just blurting some ideas... for what its worth?

Rick

·
Registered
36 Posts
Wonderment

A 200W UHP will never last as long as a 150W UHP or even a 120W UHP.

Why don't you take your pj to a local electronics shop and ask them to MEASURE the current that goes through your bulb? That way you would know who to blame.

And for Philips being the culprit: Philips produces a lot of UHP's and they are used in almost all PJ's with UHP bulbs. They only pruduce a few types that are used in several brands. How can a bulb used in your PJ last for 500hrs and the same type last 1000hrs in a different brand pj?

I've seen the QC at Philips in the past (I live in the home town of Philips) and I know that they test and spec their bulbs very accuratly.

I'm willing to bet that its your pj's fault.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
well my philips 4650 has over 3k hours on it.. and the oil on the lamp causes heat on the lens which wil cause it to explode.. again same thing happens on holagen bulbs. but other things can cause it as well. unclean screens and filters.. not ventalated well and also voltage can cause it. if you have that kind of problems like 400 hours and they blow then id never buy that brand again and i wouldnt hesitate to let them know.

look on the net for bulb care for the type of lamp you have and youll find that it says dont touch it and why..

·
Banned
100 Posts
Right, I noticed that your Philips PJ, is aimed at the commercial / office market......

If i am assuming this correctly, it could well be that the PJ is designed to deliberately over voltage the bulb, so as to decrease its natural life.

Something like a 10% over voltage supply, can DECREASE the life of a halogen quartz bulb by as much as 50 % or more....

When u consider a 55 watt ( or even 80watt ) CAR bulb, gets switched on / off daily, and can last for many years, with NO cooling, it does make u wonder why a 120 watt or even 200 watt bulb is subject to failing ?

With regards to the COOLING, I would suspect that the main reason for cooling is to keep the heat away from the PJ internals, and not so much that the bulb will cook that easily.

Basic 100watt lightbulbs for the house last for 1,000s of hours, with no cooling at all.

Ever noticed how a light bulb when used with a dimmer switch lasts almost forever ?

But with a on/off switch, they fail far more often ?

I suspect that the PJs are powering up their Bulbs to quickly - maybe a very slow gradual power up would increase the life ?

One thing is for sure, none of this is coincedental.

the manufacturers know exactly how long their goods will last for, and that includes the bulbs.

Panasonic quote 5,000 hours in low power mode for their AE series. Would be interesting to note how many people got even close to those figures ?

Personally I would've contacted Philips about the PJ, after the 2nd bulb failed, and complained that the PJ was faulty.

this is an interesting thread for sure....

Buganna

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
Blame the year. 2003 has been an overall crappy year.:)

I seriously don't know why you kepe getting stuck with bad bulbs. I feel bad that you are getting jerked. Seems something isn't right if you are getting new bulbs and they are dying that quickly and you're eright about the other posts about poor bulb life.

There should be a better warranty on bulbs since they do cost hundreds of bucks and a measily 300 hours is pretty bad. Reminds me of the computer industry.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'm still trying to personally figure out why bulbs cost so much. There's a serious price fixing / price gouging going on, and everyone knows it. Yes, I realize that they're a very sensitive piece of technology. Consider the lowly X1. Thousand dollar projector. Bulb cost? $350 is the best I've seen (PM me if anyone has found them for less). Now, I understand that there are markups on both the projector and the bulb due to retail pricing and all that, but still. The bulb is 1/3 the price of the projector! Does that mean that the bulb is 1/3 the production cost of the projector? Hell no. Considering the inclusion of the licensed Faroudja & TI DLP technology, I can't believe that. Just. Cannot. Believe. That. So the bulbs are waay overpriced for us consumers. Anyone want to start up a www.lets-not-get-screwed-on-bulb-prices.com discount distributor? :D

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.