AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I went to purchase a new replacement bulb for my projector.... I actually did do some research. And what I found was that people were still stating that OEM bulbs (not the manufacturers actual bulb), are on par or only slightly different from the genuine manufacturers replacement bulbs.

Wow. Is just about all I can say. What a complete crock!

Every once in awhile, I make a "bad" purchase. Not often.

I want to make it VERY clear. There is a difference. A big difference.

Anyone considering saving the $50-$75, don't do it. You are just throwing your money away.

I am surprised that these are even on the market, and that more of us out there have not put the HUGE stamp of disapproval on these items of junk.

My projector that I installed one of these on.... looks like I left in the old 3000+ hour (ok... more like 5000 hour) used bulb. Literally..... my projector is just as dim as it was before I replaced the bulb.

Make sure you don't pull the trigger on these after market OEM bulbs, and make sure you don't let our members either.

I wish I had been spared and hope more posts like this will help to save us all our hard earned $$!

·
Registered
6,372 Posts
There have been many many post about NOT buying NON OEM (original equipment manufacture) i.e. same company that made the projector. A forum search of OEM Lamp will produce many hit. In most any question about lamp purchase you will always see warnings from members to buy the lamp from the original manufacture and that you get what you pay for. There have been post that explain in detail the difference and why an authentic lamp is more expensive and well worth the price. There are also the folks that will pinch Lincoln until he screams and an extra $100 is like having their arm removed regardless of the final product quality and performance.

Sorry you got burned but like every kind of replacement part, there are the good and the bad, buyer beware.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
There are many "dealers" who will sell what they claim is a "compatible" lamp. I did some investigating on one of them who had a listing for a lamp that had a long list of "compatible" projectors. After cross-checking all the numbers, I found that he was lying through his cyber-teeth and that MOST of the projectors in that list actually called for completely different lamps than he claimed.

An unsuspecting buyer ( and it happened to a forum user, that's why I checked ), bought one of those lamps and it worked in his projector for a matter of hours and then the lamp's properties fell outside of the projector's parameters and it shut down. Money wasted.

A good deal can be had, there are those that swear by the practice of replacing the bulb, not the entire housing. BUT, you have to be ABSOLUTELY sure it is the same, exact bulb. Just looking like it doesn't count for squat.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In many cases the only way you can tell... is looking at the warranty. The genuines have a 6 month warranty, and in my case, comes with a replacement filter included.

I did read that some felt the OEM's were inferior (being far too kind), but many more posting here and elsewhere all over the net, that they worked great and are a bargain. Whoever states they are anything other than complete junk is high or selling the garbage.

I just want it to be quite clear and quite final for anyone who might be looking as I was. These OEM versions are complete and utter garbage. Period.

You won't be able to tell the difference between your old used bulb and these.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Let's get the terminology correct here:

OEM = the actual lamp made for and used in the PJ

COMPATIBLE = cheap knock off that uses the same assembly in order to allow you to use it in your PJ. Typically low quality, inferior product.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Colour temperature can be a major issue with these chinese bulbs as well.

There are a lot of manufacturers selling these bulbs, some who actually make the bulbs for the OEM's, and those who copy the bulbs ~ badly.

There is a guy around who sources good quality internals for those who are willing to rebulb their reflectors, a lot have had good results, but this is a lot more work than a 'drop-in' as desired by most people.

·
Banned
3,550 Posts
I tried ordering a non OEM replacement bulb (instead getting an OEM later) and it wasn't even the same wattage. Others have reported getting replacements slightly dimmer looking, but did not find problems. On mine the lamp began to flicker and become too hot. I tried my older lamp but no problems. I put in the non OEM lamp again and when I had to remove it the second time the pieces holding it in place were beginning to slip out of place it was so hot. I tried again and it did the same thing again, so I immediately shut it down and took out the bulb as fast possible. There is supposedly something like a 1 out 10 chance a lamp won't work, and it can take awhile but my problem was with less than 10 hours on the bulb. I sent it back and they said it was fine. They had I guess not noticed that the print on the bulb had all but completely burned off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.