AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what happens of you don't change the bulb when you're supposed to? Does it just get dimmer or does it go black? I'm at about 4500 hours on my bulb and the unit (Infocus IN76) keeps telling me to change it. Should I change it even if the bulb seems fine? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
The manafacturers generally say that if you don't change your lamp at the requied time, it could possibly explode, damaging the projector. Of course, it's in their interest to say this.

Of course this is possible, but from the posts here most lamps just continue getting dimmer until they're unusable, or, simply fail. The most common advice here is that if you plan to upgrade, just keep using your current lamp untill it dies. If you don't plan to upgrade, get a new lamp and keep your current one as a spare.

Jonathan

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
RobbyGT -- After 4500 hours of operation, the normal failure mode is for the lamp to continue to get dimmer until it will finally fail to "strike". It is an arc lamp, and it gets an initial high voltage applied to ignite (or strike) the arc. As the lamp ages, the internal electrode spacing continues to get worn away. Eventually the arc gap gets too wide to be ignited by the "strike" voltage. It could also just go dark as you are watching your IN76.

The worst failure mode is for the lamp to explode, but that probability goes way down as the operating hours build up. That mode is usually the result of a defect in the glass bulb, but after 4500 hours, the glass has been well annealed.

As Jonathan said, if you plan on keeping the IN76, you should buy a replacement lamp, now. You will never know when the lamp will fail to turn-on. It may last for another 2000+ hours, too. Some Infocus owners (IN4805) have reported over 7000 hours on their lamps.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually, I already have a new bulb, I've just been too lazy to put it in. So I was just making sure what would happen if I didn't change it for a while. I like the tip about keeping the old one for a back-up. I never thought of that. Thanks for the responses.

·
Registered
520 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyGT /forum/post/17050221

Actually, I already have a new bulb, I've just been too lazy to put it in. So I was just making sure what would happen if I didn't change it for a while. I like the tip about keeping the old one for a back-up. I never thought of that. Thanks for the responses.

I dont know what size or type of screen you are projecting on but I can imagine your projector must be super dim at 4500 hours. Put in the new bulb and youll be amazed at what you have been missing. More POP

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm projecting 120". To me the picture seems fine, but that's probably because it has been a gradual degradation. You're probably right, a new bulb would make a world of difference. Thanks.

·
Registered
7,140 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr2Spyder /forum/post/17050311

I dont know what size or type of screen you are projecting on but I can imagine your projector must be super dim at 4500 hours. Put in the new bulb and youll be amazed at what you have been missing. More POP

I was about to say...

It's not unusual to swap out lamps 1000 to 1500 hours.

·
Banned
3,781 Posts
I usually tell customers to put a new bulb in right away and keep the current as a spare. Most new bulbs typically only have a warranty of 3-6 months or 500 hours whichever comes first. So use the new one instead of letting the warranty expire while it sits on a shelf.

Bob

·
Registered
6,908 Posts
One of my IN76's went to 5000+ hrs without a lot of dimming and was working great when I sold it. The buyer is still using it a year later!

BobL's suggestion is an excellent one!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
This really is one for this thread. (Sorry if this is not posted correctly.)

We have a Xerox 8200 digital projector which gets used about once per month for an hour. The lamp apparently went out. We ordered a new one but it doesn't fire up. On close look the original bulb lights up for 3 seconds and turns off slowly over about a second or so. When the new one is installed it doesn't light up at all and the lamp indicator blinks red after 10 seconds. It may be inop or there is something else wrong such as balast.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Lee

·
Registered
6,908 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyGT /forum/post/17049893

the unit (Infocus IN76) keeps telling me to change it.

Note the lamp hours then reset the lamp counter in the utility menu ... it will stop bugging you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts