AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another lame example of a martial arts film with hybrid casting (Asian action star and American comedy star). But is does pose one interesting riddle or conundrum:

"Why are hotdogs sold in packages of 10, while buns are sold in packages of 8?"

This is the Tibetan version of the Buddhist question, "What is the sound of one hand clapping?" Which is to say, the first question is not about hotdogs or buns, silly grasshopper.

But here is a practical answer. Not all hotdogs are sold in packs of 10. Gourmet dogs come 4 or 6 to a pack. By the same token, buns are sold in packs of 6 and 12, and not just 8. No matter the size, bread has a finite shelf life, much shorter than hotdogs, which are refrigerated. Do the math. By the time you eat the 10th hotdog, the bun you bought at the beginning of the week is hard. And thus, sometimes it is better to buy two quarts of milk every 4 days than it is to buy one gallon every week.

OK, so I would fail the apprentice monk test, but this is how Ernest (Jim Varney) would have answered the question. Poor guy, if he were alive, some Hollywood nitwit would be thinking of ways to team him with Jet Li.

Since y'all asked, the PQ is 3.9/5, audio is 4/5. I didn't rent this, I bought it for $16. That's cause I'm a student of film, and like to know how special effects are done. The opening scene on the rope-bridge is the best. Not as much swinging as on the Shrek movie, but heck, they did this with green screen and it's not easy swinging the bridge and timing the jumps perfectly. Next best scene is the one where Chow (actually a stunt double) hangs on a helicopter. This has some "Jackie Chan" daredevil excitement to it. Lastly, the Russian girl character (Jaime King) is really cute, and so is the German chick with the English accent (Victoria Smurfit). I'd like to smurf her. Nice Grace Kelly features, and baad to the core.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Watched few minutes of it, didn't catch my interest. The casting don't seem to have any chemistry. It's just odd watching it. At this point, why would PQ and audio matter?

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
avoid this film at all cost. not just because of the lame acting/characters/plot. but because of the lame cliches. as we all know the main staple to any martial arts film is characters: 1) all know chinese or japanese for no apparent reason. 2) all know martial arts for no apparent reason. 3) all can defy the laws of physics for no apparent reason.

the lame neo nazi plot, lack of character development, and horrible acting is just the icing on the cake of this stinker.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by almostinsane
Was the movie funny? Entertaining? I'm easily ammused, this might be a renter.
I agree with the comment on the lack of charisma on the part of the stars. Chow Yun Fat plays Jackie Chan and Stifler plays Owen Wilson, and neither does as well as their inspiration. Everything in this movie is ripped off from other popular movies, from Matrix to Raiders of The Lost Ark. Maybe it's just me, but Stifler isn't a very likable guy. I've heard him on the radio, and he seems like an OK dude, but I always feel he makes every movie he is in worse.

If you like martial arts movies, it has a pretty cool wire work opening scene, and also a cool stunt with Chow Yun Fat running up some crates as a van speeds toward them. Worth a rental only, and then only for people into martial arts movies.

·
Registered
912 Posts
People care about the audio & video quality because this is Audio & Video Sciences Forum! I am not really interested in this DVD since I have yet to hear one person say anything good about it.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
I think Chow Yun Fat has enough charisma to be likable in just about anything, and that goes for BPMonk as well. That's not nearly enough to recommend the movie though. The best I can say about Stiffler was I didn't hate him nearly as much as I expected to but his character was ridiculous, even by comic book standards. What, It took Yun Fat a lifetime of training to become the guardian and this guy figures it out from watching Jackie Chan movies?? And it gets worse from there. There are some OK action sequences, but you could do better renting Iron Monkey.

Oh, as for sound and PQ, both are in keeping with average good current releases; not reference but nothing major to complain about.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
This movie is horrible , this movie wanted to be out of my player after the first 5 minutes, thank God it was a rental and it was a free one so i didnt loose anything except my time.

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Video and audio nothing special.The film itself was awful.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Edge enhancement is fairly significant with this mindless flick, it messes up an otherwise good transfer.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I actually enjoyed this flick (call me crazy)!

One question: is there a layer change at 1:34.24? This is just moments from the end of the movie, which seems to be a strange place for a layer change to occur. I'm not sure if it is a layer change or I have a defective DVD.

If someone who owns this movie could check for me, I'd be most grateful.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
I enjoyed this movie. On the other hand, I was 8 hours into a 12 hour flight, so I might have enjoyed stabbing my left leg with a pencil or inhaling the pungent odors from the toilet just as much. Can't comment on the PQ as it was a 4" LCD on the back seat in front of me.

Ollie, I get franks which come seven to a pack. I end up having to buy 8 packs of franks and 7 packs of buns (plus a gallon each of relish and mustard, five onions, etc.) Then I have to invite that Japanese champion over to help finish them off.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I got one of the early Hong Kong editions of Bulletproof Monk (around April/May last year) and it had actually been dubbed into Chinese and had English subtitles.

I think that probably made it more entertaining than it it really was.

But still pretty awful.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I was expecting the worst from this movie, but I actually liked it! Just further proof that I should never listen to other people's opinions. Sure, some of the dialog was dumb, but overall it had some decent action scenes and a simple, yet interesting plot.

Audio/Video quality was really good too. I didn't notice an objectionable amount of edge enhancement, although there was a little bit.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.