AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not to offend anyone who liked this film, but I simply couldn't find anything inherently good about it. Except for the car chase, but then again, couldn't the two villains have had some sort of dialog! For the entire car chase the two don't utter a word! Unbelievable. Also unbelievable was the young babe in her mid twenties who's purported to be McQueen's girlfriend!


Bad script and wooden acting = bad movie.


The movie came out in '68, one year after I was born and I had always heard great things about the chase scene, but to me this alone doesn't warrant purchasing this film. Sorry.


Should have bought the SD-DVD! I should add that the transfer was pretty good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,895 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edved1 /forum/post/0


Not to offend anyone who liked this film, but I simply couldn't find anything inherently good about it. Except for the car chase, but then again, couldn't the two villains have had some sort of dialog! For the entire car chase the two don't utter a word! Unbelievable. Also unbelievable was the young babe in her mid twenties who's purported to be McQueen's girlfriend!


Bad script and wooden acting = bad movie.


The movie came out in '68, one year after I was born and I had always heard great things about the chase scene, but to me this alone doesn't warrant purchasing this film. Sorry.


Should have bought the SD-DVD! I should add that the transfer was pretty good.

I have to agree with you. I had never seen the film and cought it in HD on one of the HD movie channels a couple of months ago. I had heard so much about it that I talked my wife into watching it with me. At the end, we looked at each other and said "what was that"?


Happy 40th by the way!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
630 Posts
Car chases should have limited or no dialog at all. The focus is on the drivers chasing each other in a car.


Ronin has my favorite car chases. The second been the best and it has relatively no dialog during that chase.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFoley /forum/post/0


Car chases should have limited or no dialog at all. The focus is on the drivers chasing each other in a car.


Ronin has my favorite car chases. The second been the best and it has relatively no dialog during that chase.

All right, how about this. At the very start of the chase when they're looking for the Mustang, can't one of them say "where did he go"? Or about, "you keep an eye on the road and I'll try to shoot the guy with my Winchester pump shot gun"!


Ridiculous really.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,185 Posts
I wouldn't call it "brutal", but I don't think it has aged well. Bullitt was a ground-breaking film for its time, but now the plot seems rather thin and does not have a satisfying conclusion. I just watched my HD DVD last night for the first time, and it wasn't until almost the end that I remembered I had seen the whole movie only a few years ago. This is a good indication, for me anyway, that the plot is not very "memorable". The chase scene, of course, is still awesome (and it is fun in HD).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,789 Posts
This movie has never been one of my favorites, but bits and pieces of it (the car chase, some of McQueen's stuff) work great. I take it out every few years for a spin, but it isn't amazing. "Brutal" is harsh, but it's definitely "meh".


Still, the HD DVD includes a *fantastic* documentary about McQueen... and an even MORE fantastic documentary about film editing (in HD!) This is one title that's worth getting even just for the supplements.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,185 Posts
One thing I did notice, though-the cheap hotel had rooms for "$7-12 per week"! WOW, how things have changed in San Francisco... Now, even in a run-down hotel like that, rooms would cost US$300 per week or more.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW6ATV /forum/post/0


I wouldn't call it "brutal", but I don't think it has aged well. Bullitt was a ground-breaking film for its time, but now the plot seems rather thin and does not have a satisfying conclusion. I just watched my HD DVD last night for the first time, and it wasn't until almost the end that I remembered I had seen the whole movie only a few years ago. This is a good indication, for me anyway, that the plot is not very "memorable". The chase scene, of course, is still awesome (and it is fun in HD).

It hasn't aged well at all. I couldn't finish the film and my 27 year old girlfriend left the room without returning after about 30 mins into the film.


I liked the scene when McQueen is called in the early morning and after hearing the call, says he would be there in 5mins time. Well, by the time he arrives it was a crime scene with ambulance and all, rather than him finding out who was calling from the hotel lobby!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,257 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edved1 /forum/post/0


Should have bought the SD-DVD!

That pretty much negates the rest of your post/thread.

Why buy a brutally bad movie?

Why buy an SD DVD when you can have a HD DVD?

"Brutal".


You also negected to mention one thing about the movie:

Steve McQueen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG ED /forum/post/0


That pretty much negates the rest of your post/thread.

Why buy a brutally bad movie?

Why buy an SD DVD when you can have a HD DVD?

"Brutal".


You also negected to mention one thing about the movie:

Steve McQueen.

I don't understand your post BIG ED. Have you've been drinking too much California Wine?

How was I to know whether the movie is any good if I haven't seen it? That's absurd!

Bullitt @ Amazon 76 used & new available from $7.99

I pre-ordered during the dry season for HD tiltes
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,715 Posts
I hate threads like this because I feel strongly that a film has to be viewed in the context of the era it was created. Films today have tons of flash- special effects, extreme camera movement, extreme closeups, quick edits just to name a few. It's important to realize however that films are built on the achievements of others. Bullitt is a perfect example. The car chase scene of this movie was by far the best of it's era. So much so that the car chase subsequently became a cliche in hollywood action movies. For it's day this was a great movie.


I for one have come to dislike the quick edits and extreme closeups that are used in todays movies. I would like to see more directors take the John Ford approach of minimalist camera movement, extended cuts and just let the actors act. Check out the Searchers on HD-DVD this is a great example of a minimalist director allowing the actors to do their thing.


Also one other thing about the lack of dialog in Bullitt. During the late 60's and early 70's this was considered cool. Watch some of the scenes of "Play Misty For me" with Clint Eastwood for example (or any of the early Clint Eastwood movies for that matter). Very similar minimalist dialog. Personally I think the lack of dialog between the bad guys in the car chase scene adds a lot darkness to their characters because it shows them as being unemotional professionals which makes them even more serious and dangerous of an adversary.


Last night I watched the Dinosaur stampede chapter of "King Kong" and thought about how much better this scene was than anything in Jurassic Park. But again it's important to realize that King Kong like all fairly recent movies was built on the work of earlier pioneers. I don't think we would have a scene like this if it weren't for the earlier work in Jurassic Park.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petersen /forum/post/0


I hate threads like this because I feel strongly that a film has to be viewed in the context of the era it was created. Films today have tons of flash- special effects, extreme camera movement, extreme closeups, quick edits just to name a few. It's important to realize however that films are built on the achievements of others. Bullitt is a perfect example. The car chase scene of this movie was by far the best of it's era. So much so that the car chase subsequently became a cliche in hollywood action movies. For it's day this was a great movie.


I for one have come to dislike the quick edits and extreme closeups that are used in todays movies. I would like to see more directors take the John Ford approach of minimalist camera movement, extended cuts and just let the actors act. Check out the Searchers on HD-DVD this is a great example of a minimalist director allowing the actors to do their thing.


Also one other thing about the lack of dialog in Bullitt. During the late 60's and early 70's this was considered cool. Watch some of the scenes of "Play Misty For me" with Clint Eastwood for example (or any of the early Clint Eastwood movies for that matter). Very similar minimalist dialog. Personally I think the lack of dialog between the bad guys in the car chase scene adds a lot darkness to their characters because it shows them as being unemotional professionals which makes them even more serious and dangerous of an adversary.


Last night I watched the Dinosaur stampede chapter of "King Kong" and thought about how much better this scene was than anything in Jurassic Park. But again it's important to realize that King Kong like all fairly recent movies was built on the work of earlier pioneers. I don't think we would have a scene like this if it weren't for the earlier work in Jurassic Park.

While I'm comparing apples to oranges here, my favorite movie of 2006 was 'The Good Sheppard'. No flash there, just a great cast with some historical significance and an excellent script.


I found the exchanges between the actors in Bullitt lacked any fluidity. Like I said earlier, wooden. As someone stated in an earlier post, for me simply having McQueen in the film isn't a slam dunk. While he may have epitomized "cool" in his time, I didn't sense that here. He just looked like an old guy with a hot young girlfriend.


I work in an intensive care unit and was appalled by just how poorly scripted the scenes in the hospital were.


I do however appreciate you taking the time in offering some insight on the film.


Cheers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,068 Posts
My take is basically the opposite of most posts here.

I've come to enjoy and appreciate the film more with each viewing. The first time I ever saw it, back in the late 80s I was of the same mindset as a lot of posters- "what's the big deal?"

Now, I appreciate the quiet of the film. These people are professionals. There's no melodrama, they just do their work (well, save for the senator, of course).

I'm the same age as the OP, but I can't stand the state of most modern action films.


I'll take Bullitt anyday over Bad Boys and it's ilk.

Unfortunately I'm one of only a couple hundred apparently that will
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,789 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edved1 /forum/post/0


I don't understand your post BIG ED. Have you've been drinking too much California Wine?

How was I to know whether the movie is any good if I haven't seen it? That's absurd!

Bullitt @ Amazon 76 used & new available from $7.99

I pre-ordered during the dry season for HD tiltes

Have you ever considered renting? Just a thought.



Also, have you watched the two documentaries yet? As I mentioned, those are the real cream on this HD DVD.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
I'll agree with those who say the movie hasn't aged well, but I love the car chase too. I think there's an extra on one of the DVD releases on the "making of" the car chase. It was all driven by the actors and done in real time, at speed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,555 Posts
Well, this movie wasn't revelutionary, IMO, but it wasn't horrible. If you want a horrible movie, watch Catch and Release, or Happily Never After (there are two mistakes I made recently).


I didn't really like the ending to Bullitt. It seemed a bit weak. I watched it for the first time when the HD DVD was released and I would say that overall it was at least an average movie. There were some big plot holes that went unfilled too, in addition to the ending.


Steve McQueen was stone cold and the car chase was great, but not as great as it is hyped up to be. I have a feeling this will be one of those films that gets a modern remake soon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petersen /forum/post/0


I hate threads like this because I feel strongly that a film has to be viewed in the context of the era it was created.

I disagree. If reviewed as art, then yes. But I would argue that reviewed as art, Bullitt wouldn't fair well.


But, the "should you watch this movie" type review is perfectly valid (which is what he was doing). We cannot unlearn and unsee everything that we have learned and seen. Thus, for this type of review, it makes no sense to attempt to consider the situation. For this type of review, I would say it is wrong to insist the viewer must "cut it some slack" because of the bygone era it was created in.


Dave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,449 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW6ATV /forum/post/0


I wouldn't call it "brutal", but I don't think it has aged well. Bullitt was a ground-breaking film for its time, but now the plot seems rather thin and does not have a satisfying conclusion. I just watched my HD DVD last night for the first time, and it wasn't until almost the end that I remembered I had seen the whole movie only a few years ago. This is a good indication, for me anyway, that the plot is not very "memorable". The chase scene, of course, is still awesome (and it is fun in HD).

Why'd you put memorable in quotation marks?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboisvert /forum/post/0


Have you ever considered renting? Just a thought.



Also, have you watched the two documentaries yet? As I mentioned, those are the real cream on this HD DVD.

Can't rent as I work and reside in Saudi Arabia. Not from here, just work here.
 
1 - 20 of 91 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top