AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
 http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=63817 .

Bullitt & The Getaway (HD DVD & BD) in February

Warner Home Video have announced the US HD DVD and Blu-ray Disc releases of Bullitt and The Getaway for 27th February 2007.Starring Hollywood screen legend Steve McQueen both films are priced at $28.99 SRP and feature all bonus materials from the standard definition DVD releases.

Bullitt (1968) - In one of his most famous roles, Steve McQueen stars as tough-guy police detective Frank Bullitt, assigned for 48 hours to watch a witness before his trial. However, when the witness and another officer are shot, Bullitt decides to investigate the case on his own, much to the dismay of an ambitious Senator (Robert Vaughn) who wants to shut the investigation down, hindering Bullitt's plan to bring the killers to justice. Robert Duvall and Jacqueline Bisset also star in the film which contains one of the most exciting car chases in film. Bullitt also won the 1969 Academy Award® for Best Editing.

The Getaway (1972) - Steve McQueen plays a bank robber whose wife makes a deal with a Texas politician to have her husband released from prison in return for a percentage from their next big heist. But when the plan goes sour, the couple must flee to Mexico as fast as they can, with a variety of gun-wielding thugs on their trail. Ali MacGraw, Sally Struthers and Al Lettieri also star in this crime thriller directed by Sam Peckinpah (The Wild Bunch).

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
I'm all over Bullitt. Woo-hoo!!!!

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Does this mean Warner is done announcing for February?! It clearly seems like it. Jeez, that's weak-sauce. Looks like Warner and Universal suddenly don't see the need to release any more than about 4 titles a month. And Paramount - what? 2 or so every other month? And New Line won't be doing crap until at least the 2nd half of the year - and even then they may only release Total HD combos - which I violently hate. Bandai? 4 titles only for the entire year - and even then they won't come out until sometime this summer.

If this is how things continue - we'll be lucky to get 12 mostly low-demand titles a month until when things ramp up again next holiday season.

Thank God I just ordered a laptop - at least it's portability/style will make watching SD DVDs much more fun, enjoyable. I may need to just tune out what is going on in HD world for a couple months while I use the laptop and a bunch of SD DVD anime or something to entertain myself.

*walks off, commits suicide*

-

·
Registered
151 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 /forum/post/0

And a year ago I bought the Steve McQueen Collection that has these 2 movies...

To double dip or not double dip, that is the question.

ss9001

Up to now, I have CASABLANCA in the BOGART SIGNATURE PACK, and HD

ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD in the WARNER LEGENDS and HD

THE SEARCHERS in the JOHN WAYNE / JOHN FORD COLLECTION PACK and HD

If the pack doesn't come available all in HD, there's no other way to obtain the tittle in HD but separately and have it in DVD as well.

WARNER's not thinking in collectionists.

·
Registered
513 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Type /forum/post/0

I have heard so many references to bullit but never watched it. Looks like my first time will be on HD-DVD

The BUllit car chase is the mother of all modern car chases. Pale in comparison by today's standards were bigger explosions and cgi rule, it established what would become the defacto rules for a car chase:

Strong Powerful cars, in bullit's case the Mustang Fastback and in the killers case the Dodge Charger.

The Hill jumps, Since the movie takes place in San Fran, You get to see a lot of ramp jumps on the streets of SF.

The Red Light crossings, Cutting a cornener or running a red light. usually causing others to crash.

Stick shift shots, The good guy and the bad guy inside car camm showing how professional they are at short gear shifting techninques.

Big Fiery Finale, There is no way the bad guys cannot go out without being engulfed in a ball of flame.

Jorge

·
Registered
3,811 Posts

Quote:
The BUllit car chase is the mother of all modern car chases. Pale in comparison by today's standards were bigger explosions and cgi rule, it established what would become the defacto rules for a car chase:

Yes it is, car chases of all car chases. That excellent car chase in Live and Die in L.A. was patterned after the Bullit chase.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I heard that the city of san FRancisco only permitted the production team to go about 45-60 mph, but at the end the production said screw that and had the cars going at around 130 mph, through Frisco!!!

·
Registered
513 Posts
Now, All I need is the Sand Pebbles and The Towering Inferno and I am set on my Steve Mcqueen Favorite flicks.

Jorge

·
Registered
3,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPforMe /forum/post/0

Yes it is, car chases of all car chases. That excellent car chase in Live and Die in L.A. was patterned after the Bullit chase.

I think the cars involved adds a lot to the car chase. The production was very cheesy. You will see the same volkswagon beetle in the background of every scene cut if you pay attention. I fear that this transfer may suffer from age. It looks very bad for SD, I am unsure how much they will be able to clean the image up for HD presentation.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.