AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't really find any useful info about DVI technology, especially on their own website, so I was hoping you guys could help me a little.

Can you use or convert normal analog RGB out of a computer to a DVI input on a projector? Has anyone done this? What about progressive component to DVI? I'm looking at the Plus Piano in Japan and wondering if there's a way to use that DVI input with a source without a DVI output...

Thanks!

·
Registered
121 Posts
>Can you use or convert normal analog RGB out of a computer to a DVI input on a projector?

Yes, but it will remain analog, thus defeating the purpose of using a digital connection.

>What about progressive component to DVI?

You would need a converter such as the RCA VHDC300 to go from component to RGB and a RGB to DVI cable.

Dilsnufus, there is NO benefit to using DVI cabling where there is not a DVI interface, especially given the high cost and cable length (5M) limitations of DVI. If that is the only RGB/HD input on the projector use a converter, otherwise, just use the standard BNC or HD15 jacks.

Steve

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, that's really the only big problem with the Piano, it only has the DVI input besides S, composite, and non-progressive component.

Thanks Steve!

David

·
Registered
271 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by stevehifi:

Dilsnufus, there is NO benefit to using DVI cabling where there is not a DVI interface, especially given the high cost and cable length (5M) limitations of DVI.
There was a thread http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum12/HTML/012521.html in the HTPC forum where someone found a really long DVI cable: http://www.inlineinc.com/products/coax/

Does anyone know if this cable works or if there are any problems with it?

[This message has been edited by Viking2000 (edited 08-06-2001).]

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
I was the one who posted that link. I have never seen it in use, i know nothing other than what is on that PDF

·
Registered
211 Posts
RCA VHDC300?

Where would you get one of these?

What exactly is it?

Any links?

I'm interested in the Plus Piano and have a Denon DVD-2800. The lack of progressive input is a major shortfall, and a converter may help...

I'd have to balance which is best. Digital conversion to progressive in the player (using SiI 503 digitally) vs. line doubling in the projector (using SiI 503 but from analogue) vs. conversion from 480p to DVI. Help?

Ian Guinan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.