AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am buying a house that is being built as we speak. I need to buy all my prewire now and wanted some input. I have been looking at bundled cable from smarthome (I don't now what brand it is), Home Depot (same thing), and commscope. all are cat5e X2 RG6 X2 and Fiber X2. This is my first house and all thought I don't want to go crazy, I did want to install enough bandwidth to "future proof" my house as best as possible. the way the house is designed, It would be very hard to make upgrades later.

I am installing cable, phone, and net in all the rooms as well as some cat5 for home automation. I have a roll of regular cat 5 that I was going to use for the automation portion.

My question is, Cat 5e vs Cat 6? what would be the benefit and would it be worth it?

and is there a bundled cable that has the most bandwidth for HD?

Thanks

Jeff

·
Registered
8 Posts
Jeff,

Most applications for home use will not exceed the bandwidth of standard CAT5 for some time. A lot of the technology coming out now is still being optimized to work on regular telephone cable. If you install a "full" home install cable (2 RG-6, 2 CAT5E, 2 MM fibre) then you will be way ahead of the curve. I wouldn't worry too much about HDTV bandwidth on the RG-6, just make sure it is sweep tested out to 2 GHz. If you are looking for the best cable then Belden is probably the top of the line, otherwise commscope is good. I would stay away from the General cable that Home Depot sells. It has been known to have a few defects. I also like the Open House system for distribution and Leviton for wallplates and jacks.The best advice I would give you is to make sure you install what they commonly call Smurf tube from the location where service enters your house and your inside distribution box. This will allow you to add things later if there ever is a change. Of the people I know doing this kind of wiring in the Portland area Greenline does an okay job. Hope this helps.

Steve G.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.