AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
9,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bungie admits to what most everyone has already said about Halo 2

When it comes to Halo 2, the developers of the game aren't content with how things turned. Sure the game went on to rack up $125 million USD in sales on its first day and has sold more than 6.5 million copies worldwide since its launch, but those successes seem to ring a bit hollow with Bungie.

Many Halo fans that plunked down their hard-earned money for Halo 2 were disappointed with the game's storyline and ending -- Bungie's Frank O'Connor agrees. "We drove off Thelma & Louise style," said O'Connor. "The trick is to avoid designing or writing by committee. You have to take what's best from the input you're getting and not have it turn into that too many cooks situation."

Part of the reason for the discontent with the game stems from the fact that Bungie didn't have the four to six week "polishing period" that it had with the original Halo blockbuster. "We had about four to five weeks to polish Halo at the end. No more than that. And that last five per cent is responsible for 30 per cent of the success of the game, or more. That's the period in which we really had a perfect storm," said technical lead Chris Butcher. "One of the things that stuns me when I think about it, and I can't believe this is true - we had none of that for Halo 2 ... We miscalculated, we screwed up, we came down to the wire and we just lost all of that."

Even more harsh words were reserved for Halo 2's multiplayer. "Even the multiplayer experience for Halo 2 is a pale shadow of what it could and should have been if we had gotten the timing of our schedule right. It's astounding to me. I f***ing cannot play Halo 2 multiplayer. I cannot do it. And that's why I know Halo 3 is going to be so much better," adds Butcher.

Bungie has a chance to not only improve on the tremendous sales success of Halo 2, but also to improve on the many letdowns brought forth with that title. Bungie has already notified testers selected for the Halo 3 beta and the title is expected to hit store shelves in time for the Holiday 2007 season. Bungie has a little less than a year to truly wow Xbox 360 owners out there and hopefully they won't let them down. Gears of War is already shaping up to be the next big thing for the Xbox 360 platform, so the Halo franchise isn't the only game in town anymore.

http://www.dailytech.com/Bungie+Admi...rticle5832.htm

·
Registered
266 Posts
Yeah, the story was - lacking.

The touted "per-pixel lighting engine" was producing pictures that ended up too many times just too dark.

And what was that with those frick*n weapons covering a big chunk from the bottom corner(s) of the screen? (To me, that was the most annoying - running around while "leaning forward" just to see where I am heading and what's coming at me...).

Halo 2 was clearly sailing on the waves created by the success of Halo 1. I preordered it blindly just like all the others. This time around I'll wait until the dust settles around Halo 3...

·
Registered
266 Posts
Don't misunderstood me guys, to me it was an OK game. But I too believe it could have been so much better. Given the foundation it was built on...

I give it 5 "cheating online multiplayer b*st*rds" out of - 7...

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
I didn't even get through it once. Making you play as a covenant elite...boring! Lost interest real quick after that happened. That was the worst decision since having the player play Raiden in MGS2 instead of Solid Snake. I tried to like Halo 2, but I just didn't. This gives me hope for Halo 3 though.

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
I also found Halo2 disappointing especially considering they repeatedly delayed it's release and I never finished it - whereas I played Halo at least a dozen times over at every difficulty level for a year and still find most FPS disappointing and friggin GOW I find graphically excellent but to me it's fluff period the Berserker simply stumped me and nothing ever stumped me in Halo. Simply did not find it fun even after finding a walkthrough I found trying to get past that part damn annoying and not worth the trouble - I game for fun not frustration or to have a game give me a cardiac along the way.

GOW while graphically an achievement has no replay value or worth even committing the time to bother with Berserker take away the graphics and it's SOSO BS. Just as they screwed up with Doom III and Quake 4 for 360 - horrible POS Games that have nothing in common with the originals that made them hits. I recall getting a shareware disk of the first doom on my PC loooong time ago and it blew me away - I played all night long yet the 360 version was a POS IMO.

Sorry guys but I've had it with a thousand ways to shoot up the undead and gorefest games or who can splash the most blood and smear there graphics with darkness. At least the Serious Sam series doesn't pretend to be anything but a frantic paced FPS and humorous to boot. Yes, Please take Halo back to what it was - the eye candy does not make up for the intense and challenging the original layed the groundwork for. Halo 2 was the biggest disappointment along with Doom 3 and Quake 4. Perhaps they should create a category of gorefest creepy FPS as that seems to be all they make now.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I liked Halo2, but the ending was "forgetable" as already mentioned. I ended up going through Halo and Halo 2 again just to refresh my memory in antisipation for Halo 3... Although the ending was a non-ending in Halo 2, I still thought the game was very good.

·
Registered
9,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked96SS /forum/post/0

I liked Halo2, but the ending was "forgetable" as already mentioned. I ended up going through Halo and Halo 2 again just to refresh my memory in antisipation for Halo 3... Although the ending was a non-ending in Halo 2, I still thought the game was very good.

I am more into the story because of the books in addition to the game. I am currently reading the latest novel that was released last month and the timeline is prior to the Fall of Reach.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I am amazed at how jaded so many people are. I enjoyed Halo2 single player quite a bit - even playing as the covenant was an interesting twist. I am a little concerned however that they wrote themselves into a strange corner with the ending. I found the end far from forgettable - it was however very unclear where they are headed with the story. Where they left themselves is where they are stuck starting with H3...

I predict that either they will do something truly interesting and innovating with the game play and people will complain it isn't more like Halo or they will make it just like Halo and people will complain that they didn't do anything interesting.

·
Registered
9,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard713 /forum/post/0

I am amazed at how jaded so many people are. I enjoyed Halo2 single player quite a bit - even playing as the covenant was an interesting twist. I am a little concerned however that they wrote themselves into a strange corner with the ending. I found the end far from forgettable - it was however very unclear where they are headed with the story. Where they left themselves is where they are stuck starting with H3...

I predict that either they will do something truly interesting and innovating with the game play and people will complain it isn't more like Halo or they will make it just like Halo and people will complain that they didn't do anything interesting.

Either way as a fan I am looking forward too it.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
i was confused with the ending but the multiplayer wasnt that bad.... i mean how could they fix it?

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Fans have always thought they were cheated by the abrupt ending of H2. It's good to hear they have the extra time needed this time to polish H3.

I actually never finished the H2 campaign. Of course, I have chipped away at it over time and I will finish some day but as soon as I joined XBL and discovered how much fun multiplayer is I never looked back!

I thought Bungie did a decent job of tweaking the game during its life span to balance and improve the game.

A lot has been said about the modding and cheating. Of course, that detracted from the experience. However, when you belong to on-line gaming community you don't have to worry about that crap. I was in a H2 league and it was, by far, the most fun I have ever had playing a video game. Getting together each week to practice and to talk strategy for the upcoming match that weekend was so much friggin' fun

The diversity of game types, weapons, etc., and the lobby system in H2, I believe, remains unrivaled in gaming.

I am looking forward to H3. I am also looking forward to the next chapter for Bungie. They say H3 is the last in the series. We'll see.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I agree with PB. I've never even bothered to try the single player, but the Halo2 multiplayer is among the best there is for a FPS. Even with the old gen graphics, my friends and I are always playing Halo2 on our X360's. Great multiplayer maps, very good game customisability, very smooth lag free online.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I enjoyed the game but it was too short. The MP made up for it but what if you aren't all into MP?

My BIGGEST complaint with Halo 2 was the whole lobby system. It was great how they devised a leveling up system but why make it so that you cannot create a random room where people can just join in? The only way to make a room is to invite people in which is unlike every other game out there.

You should be able to create a room and host and have people join in to your room. I realize the game auto picked the best host for speed purposes and then gave control to the next person if the host left, which was nice but I want FULL hosting control.

Just do like GOW and have regular rooms and ranked rooms and let people choose capture the flag, deathmatch, etc. and search for it.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.