AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to up the ante when it comes to my audio setup. I'm not in a high-oay job, so anything over $800 will take some serious time to save up for (not that I could come up wiht $800 at the drop of a hat). But- I'm looking to get something that will last for 5-10 years, so I don't mind investing in quality as long as you aren't talking insane amounts of money.

Here's my current setup:

Sony STR-SE501 reciver

Sony 5-disc changer

Playstation 2 (DVD player)

Wharfedale Saphire SP-87 fronts

JBL Ncenter II center speaker

JBL NV 24II surrounds

I'm builing an HTPC to deal wiht high end DVD functions and PVR, but I'm curious as to whether I should invest in a good reciever, amp, or speakers first. And Then there's the matter of what reciever, amp, or speakers....

Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I would do the speaker first, which is the most influential component IMO, together with the room itself. And as usual, I suggest you look at, among other brands, the Axioms . They make great-sounding speakers with reasonable prices.

·
Registered
15,020 Posts
I agree with sushi. And if he is going to give a shameless plug for Axioms :) , I will give one for Ascend Acoustics . :D Also highly rated and more than reasonably priced.

Atleast sushi has a Hsu sub!

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
any other speakers out there? How do the Axioms sound campared to the Ascend Acoustics? To a low-end Rocket package? Or to the Wharfedale Evolutions?

·
Registered
15,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BigguyZ
any other speakers out there? How do the Axioms sound campared to the Ascend Acoustics? To a low-end Rocket package? Or to the Wharfedale Evolutions?
That's a loaded question, everyone's ears are different.

I will say that my Ascends are accurate with a very flat response curve. I think the detail is great, no harshness, and great imaging. But how they compare to the others I could not tell you.

I chose the internet direct route and boiled it down to the three "A's".....Aperion, Axiom, and Ascend. I eliminated the Rockets because I could not find any reviews other than what was posted in forums, but I understand there are some coming from magazines.

I'm sure the Rocket, Aperion and Axiom owners will chime in with their thoughts.

They are all good speakers, with good reviews and a good following of owners.

The only truely fair thing to do is let your ears be the judge.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cschang
That's a loaded question, everyone's ears are different...

...They are all good speakers, with good reviews and a good following of owners.

The only truly fair thing to do is let your ears be the judge.
agreed...:)

oh, and be sure to check out the newest darling on this forum...NHT...given all the recent posts on these guys, i almost thought they were a new internet manufacturer! ;)

·
Registered
15,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mad Dog
oh, and be sure to check out the newest darling on this forum...NHT...given all the recent posts on these guys, i almost thought they were a new internet manufacturer! ;)
Mad Dog....you are an instigator! :D

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Quote:

Down boy...heel, heel. Bad dog.:D

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cschang
Mad Dog....you are an instigator! :D
looking forward to meeting you at bioforce's place in the near future! :)

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
Quote:

Why are my ears ringing?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Quote:
Why are my ears ringing?
Could be the brightness of your NHTs?

For $800 I would check out a pair of B&W DM602s

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
Heh, I knew someone take that easy opening, but I never thought it would be a B&W groupie! I guess you've never heard of Kevlar breakup, nor noticed the 10kHz peak in the treble. Yep. I remember the "good old days" when it was the B&Ws that USED to be warm and smooth and the NHTs that USED to be brighter and unrefined. Haaaa, haaaa, haaaaa. 602s.....That's a good one! "Tinninitus, get your tinninitus here!" Haaaaaa, haaaaa, haaaaa.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK guys, a little OT here. So only the first two posts have really given any recommendations

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
Oops, okay, sorry, well, I'd say go to a used store and look around. Also, go to www.audiogon.com and search for surround receivers and other things you'll need. A used NAD would be good if it has DD and DTS. You can sell it later as you upgrade. Speakers, well, I don't know your Wharfedales - they can be good or low-end. NHT SB1s are very inexpensive and provide VERY high-end sound at under $150 each. They're the highest peforming speaker I've heard so far in that price range and I get to hear a lot. If there's something better, I have no idea what it is. They're simply stunning and extremely neutral.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Hi I second John Ashman's on NAD. I do not see NAD much mentioned in this Forum however this is one of they have the best sounding receivers around. They are rated very consevatively. Add to that PSB Image HT system. I will not raise the cables debate here but IMHO they do make a difference. NAD + PSB is an excellent combination for music and movies. Give them a try...

frantz

Port-au=Prince, Haiti

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by John Ashman
...NHT SB1s are very inexpensive and provide VERY high-end sound at under $150 each...
i love doing speaker comparisons...so this sounds interesting...:)

i may just have to audition these even though i have no need for new speakers at the moment. maybe i'll bring my Ref 1s with me to see how they compare to the very high end sound of the NHT SB1s...

John, what other speakers offer that VERY high end sound in your book?

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
Quote:
i love doing speaker comparisons...so this sounds interesting...:)

i may just have to audition these even though i have no need for new speakers at the moment. maybe i'll bring my Ref 1s with me to see how they compare to the very high end sound of the NHT SB1s...

John, what other speakers offer that VERY high end sound in your book?
Hmmmm, I seem to sense actual sarcasm in your tone........

Let's just say there's some clear relativity there and it's VERY high-end for the price. Most good $1000/pr towers don't have the midrange/treble purity of these guys. You'll find little to complain about if you given them a fair listen. I like these, not because there isn't better, but it all seems to be significantly more for equal or better quality. I mean, JMlab Utopias, Genesis, Meridian, Avalon, etc "don't suck". But they're WAY more money. As a budget recommendation, the SB1s are hot. Just don't set them up like a cheapie mass-market product - set them up like a set of Pro-Acs or something. Let us know what you think!

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by John Ashman
Hmmmm, I seem to sense actual sarcasm in your tone........

Let us know what you think!
no sarcasm in the tone...

i'm rather intrigued by these new NHT offerings now...i've heard the superones in the past and thought they were good value for the money. not exactly what i'd consider VERY high end, but very good! so if the new SB1s are improved over the superones, then i'll definitely try to hear them. i still need to audition a pair of VMPS 626Rs and Zu Druids so it may be awhile before i get around to the NHTs...

and as always, if i do, i will be sure to share my impressions! :)

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
Quote:
i'm rather intrigued by these new NHT offerings now...i've heard the superones in the past and thought they were good value for the money. not exactly what i'd consider VERY high end, but very good! so if the new SB1s are improved over the superones, then i'll definitely try to hear them. i still need to audition a pair of VMPS 626Rs and Zu Druids so it may be awhile before i get around to the NHTs...
The SuperZeros and SuperOnes did a superb "faking" of high-end and did many things better than a lot of "high-end" speakers. SB1s truly are high-end in both parts and design. You'll be surpised how much better than the SB1s are than the SuperOnes in terms of audiophile qualities.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.