AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is a good method to burn a high quality recording to DVD without audio synching problems? I have read plenty on medium quality recordings but nothing seems to outline how to burn high quality recordings.

Since I have never recorded high quality, what is the difference in video appearance from high quality versus medium quality recordings?

Thanks a bunch,

Jason.

·
Registered
35 Posts
TDfsu,

I have had major sync problems with my HQ recordings from my analog camcorder that I downloaded from my 4504 via dvarchive. I have tried Womble's mpeg2vcr GOP fixer these HQ files and it doesn't correct the problems.

I want to try mpegtools fix-time.exe but I am not sure how to exactly run the program. If some one can point me to step by step instructions on how to run fix-time, I would very much appreciate it. It appears that fix-time is a DOS base program. I'm not very good at dos commands.

If there is a better sync fixer than fix-time.exe, please share info.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
- First install fix-time.exe in a directory that is part of windows PATH, such as \\WINNT\\system32 on Win2k/XP.

- Locate the RTV mpeg you wish to process and copy/rename it to get rid of spaces. I usually rename it simply to f.mpg.

- Start a dos shell (Start->Run... cmd)

- In shell go to directory where you put the mpeg file. (cd ...)

- fix-time -i f.mpg -o f_new.mpg

f_new.mpg is the "fixed" mpeg.

You should also consider trying rtvtools (rtvedit.exe & rtvconvert.exe) instead of fix-time.exe. These are also command-line tools so some of the info given above is useful to get you started on those. There are plenty of threads here discussing how to use those and also the documentation that comes with the zip file includes a mini howto.

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
Many of the issues with sync are associated with the authoring package when it's constructing the VOBs. This is a process needed by every DVD authoring package. Most all of these packages use directshow filters and mismatching parts or problem filters (ligos) seem to introduce sync problems.

The other issue with HQ (at least for 5ks) is the recording can go out of DVD spec of 10Mbps. If you are able to sneek this video stream into a DVD your DVD player could do anything it wants with this out of spec segment. I've seen some players have no problems (tosh 4800) and other player lock up completely for 2 seconds (pana rp-91). Most authoring packages will reencode the out of spec files.

This is why most who are burning DVDs chose to use med quality. The quality vs headache factor tilts in favor of med quality.

rtv_tools does nothing to address the >10Mbps bitrates of the HQ 5k recordings. At least not that I know of.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I have used Roxio's Easy CD & DVD Creator 6.0 to create a few DVDs from a HQ Replay recording. It plays OK on several DVD players I have tried it on, but I can only save about 1 1/4 hours on the DVD. I have never seen an audio sync problem using Roxio.

·
Registered
177 Posts
What about demuxing and remuxing?

I haven't tried any HQ RTV files, but back when I used to do a lot of SVCD encoding, frequently simply demuxing and then remuxing would fix sync problems.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm on a Mac and am using Sizzle, which is pretty much just a GUI around various sourceforge DVD projects, notably MJPEG Tools including mplex, Cdrecord, mkisofs.

No sync issues nor playback problems on my DVD players, YMMV.

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by newRTVuser
What about demuxing and remuxing?
It all depends on how the demux/mux is done... not a simple straight forward fix. It may work, it may not. =( Good idea though!

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
TMPGEnc DVD Author accepts HQ Replay mpegs from my model 4160, Showstopper, and even my ancient model 2004 without any issues.

I've found that when the occasional mpegs gots out of sync, it's during Womble's GOP Fix or editing stage, not during the actual DVD authoring.

About one out of 20 mpegs gets a portion out of sync when I GOPFix/edit it, unfortunately I've never been able to figure out why. :(

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Using BattleStar Galatica from my 5160 recorded at HQ I was able to get perfectly rendered DVDs doing the following:

1) Run the mpg through rtvedit (did not edit out the commercials and skipped RTVConvert, not needed)

2) Import file into MyDVD. Editted out commercials using MYDVD.

3) Created menus and chapters, added music to menu scene, set for animated buttons 30 sec.

4) Set audio output to be Dolby digital, all other settings to highest quality.

5) Dropped last 30 min of show from first DVD since the longest I could get was 70min on a DVD at HQ.

6) Make DVD folder and trancode at about .75 spped of real time.

7) Using RTVEdit, merge last 30 min of BSG1 and first 30min of BSG2 to create the second DVD.

Ended up with three DVDs for a four hour miniseries (BSG had a total of 1 hour of commercials that I removed). The output was perfectly in sync. Since I have plenty of harddisk space and plenty of spare processor time I always record in HQ. Does the PQ look better than medium? That's subjective. Since I've started watching live TV again to catch shows in HD (or at least SD) with Dolby Digital, analog, all analog looks like junk to me.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jameskollar
Using BattleStar Galatica from my 5160 recorded at HQ I was able to get perfectly rendered DVDs doing the following:

2) Import file into MyDVD. Editted out commercials using MYDVD.
Umm, I thought you needed the rtvconvert step even if you didn't edit anything to 'fix' the mpeg to make it DVD compliant? Was I wrong?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.