AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a ws73903 online through ebay and received the tv last nite, after I hooked it up I noticed slight burn in lines on the sides of the tv. i was told the tv had no burn in before I purchased it. Can this problem be repaired? I dont want to go to court to resolve this matter if I dont have to.are there any solutions to my problem??

·
Registered
276 Posts
do NOT buy 73 inch TV's worth thousands of dollars on ebay, you're just asking for trouble. I might go so far as to ask you what you were thinking. If you have the finances to buy a BIG hdtv, buy it from a store with a warranty. That's just utter crazyness imho. By the way, when you buy products used, theyre generally "as is" meaning you have no legal recourse. I would use this as a lesson.

[This message has been edited by dpak2000 (edited 03-15-2001).]

·
Registered
925 Posts
How do you know the lines are burn in? Most burn in that I've seen involves those fixed station info bars / logos along the bottom of a set.

I've seen a brand new Zenith projector get those within 3 months because the projector was set brighter than the sun.

------------------

Married Men Live Longer Than Single Men, But Married Men Are More Willing To Die.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had a professional service rep come to inspect the tv to find out what the real problem was and they took the tv apart inspected the crts and said that the tv had too much 4:3 format running on it along with the contrast turned to 100% which permanently scarred all 3 tubes.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I am interested in the AVIA white screen method. I have a 56inch Tosh with this problem. Does it work, and if so is it creating burn in over the whole screen, shortening the life of the tubes or decreasing light output? I bought this off the floor for a very good price. I inspected it but didnt find the burn in for several days. You can only see it with a light solid color on the screen like light grey or blue.

Stantheman: is yours very noticeable at all times, or just with the right colors up?

I hate to ask question to everyone on someone else's thread, but I hate to start a new one on the same issue.. but should I go back to the store and tell them to fix the problem, and will Toshiba do anything about it anyway? I know most manufactures don't cover burn ins but why do they add the 4:3 feature if they know it damages the sets? I got a good deal on the set, but it does have full warranty and I purchased the 5 year ESP.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cnz,

I basically have the same problem, I notice the lines when the tv has lighter information running on it. If your tv was a floor model you should still have some recourse. usually 30 days from time of purchase. However if you have gone past this period you might have problems getting them replaced through your manufacturer. The cost to replace mine is 1400 dollars without labor thats just for parts.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cnz:
I know most manufactures don't cover burn ins but why do they add the 4:3 feature if they know it damages the sets?
Because it damages the sets LESS than black bars would, especially when the contrast is turned all the way up. It is not a perfect solution, however, as you have discovered. While the manufacturers do not cover burn in with their warranties, you should try to get something done since the set was actually damaged by the retailer. I hate to make even more unproductive comments and make you feel even worse, cnz, but almost anyone on this forum would have advised you against buying a floor model TV. This is why.

Quote:
Originally posted by stantheman:
The cost to replace mine is 1400 dollars without labor thats just for parts.
The 73" Mitsubishi has 9" CRTs. Believe it or not, that is actually a good price for 3 9" CRTs. The Sony 9" CRTs are about $1000 EACH. I don't know how to fix burn in, I don't even know if it is possible. I've been watching this thread and you don't seem to be getting much concrete advice. You should try (if you haven't done so already) posting this in the CRT forum and letting the CRT gurus have a crack at it.

Kent

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Ouch. Buying a used RPTV sight-unseen is a pretty high risk proposition. I hope you got a good price.

One suggestion I've heard is to hook the set up to a PC, using the appropriate converter or graphics card. Put up a pattern that's 100% white on the sides, with the center being black. The black/white boundary should coincide with the burn-in boundary. You leave it this way until the phosphers even out. I have no idea if this really works; I would think it might be tough to do this and not see the vertical boundary lines when you're through, unless you were very precise.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Ugh ...

The Mits xxx03 series were shipped from the factory with the side panels too close to white rather than a medium gray. I take it your side panels are darker than the center which would indicate this? Mits supposedly sent out a service bulletin about this and changed the side-bar brightness on later sets.

If so, I think the best solution (assuming you can't get resolution from the seller), if the burn isn't too severe yet is to follow the instructions here from the home theater spot forum and change the 4:3 side bars close to black for awhile in an attempt to even-out the wear. Then set it back to gray. Putting up a white screen in the 4:3 center mode should accelerate the process. Now the sides are worn more than the center, you have to wear the center more than the sides to even it out.

If you have opposite problem, center darker than the sides, reverse everything above.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.