Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes or no?

Ok, please forgive for bringing this subject up again. I've searched on "burn-in" in the plasma forum and the consensus seems to be that while ghosting is very common and easily remedied, permanent burn-in has not been officially reported by any forum owner. Forum participants have cited public displays that have been running for years without such effects.

I was looking at a plasma review by Gary Merson in Sept/October 2002 "The Perfect Vision", where he stated that "all plasmas are highly susceptible to it.....", and that you should never use black sidebars as they "will guarantee eventual burn in".

If burn-in is a phantom fear being promulagated by law-suit averse manufacturers to cover any and all possibilities, then why is an independent expert like Mr. Merson perpetuating this "fear and loathing" burn-in possibility towards plasma displays? Shouldn't someone who has worked with plasmas all these years know what the real story is? Or is he confusing ghosting and burn in?

Appreciate everyone's indulgence in this much discussed issue.

·
Super Moderator
21,492 Posts
no one said burn- in is a phanthom fear-

it is a legitimate concern that should be addressed

our own FAQ deals with it and how to avoid it

http://www.avsforumfaq.com/~plasma/#burnin

Luckily, or because many of us are careful- we don't see many (any? )burn-in reports

the newer plasmas are said to be better with regard to burn-in

Mark

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Quote:
I was looking at a plasma review by Gary Merson in Sept/October 2002 "The Perfect Vision", where he stated that "all plasmas are highly susceptible to it.....", and that you should never use black sidebars as they "will guarantee eventual burn in".
It may also be possible that this reviewer is going by past experience with older, more susceptible displays, thus his hyper paranoid stance It's unlikely that his review actually tested the display to see if he could get a burn in. Your best barometer is to go from current real-world experiences of those who own them. In my own searches on this board, I haven't been able to find an occurrence of true burn in either.

Another possibility is that those who HAVE gotten burn in may be too embarrassed to tell us because they thought they were above the laws of physics!

It's pretty likely that Mark is right, most on here aren't so cavalier with their plasmas, so chances of burn in are slim.

·
Registered
634 Posts
*** I hadn't seen the previous post when I did mine, so pardon the repitition**

A couple thoughts on burn-in:

- until the last year or so, most plasmas were sold in the commercial arena. I'd bet that means there isn't as much change in format as with home use, so burn would be less obvious.

- the members of this forum are probably better informed about b-i than the average consumer, and tune their sets to avoid it.

I honestly don't know whether this is a legitimate problem or not. But, based on the basic physics of plasmas, I think it's a legitimate worry. I'd feel much better if I saw a larger study of general plasma use (mass consumer, different formats, at least a couple years equivalent use, etc.) that quantified the degree of b-i.

Does anyone know of such a study?

·
Premium Member
8,098 Posts
Michael Falkner,

Who said commercial units displaying the same thing didn't show burn-in?!

I myself experienced a slight bit of burn-in on my first Fujitsu plasma. It was a channel logo imprint on the top right-hand corner. In addition, there was a different type of burn-in towards the center which involved a reduction on the amount of blue vs. the rest of the screen. It was very slight.

I've seen MANY public plasma displays with severe burn-in, having been displaying the same image (or a similar image) for a long period of time.

The most recent one was in the Frankfurt airport (I think, that last trip I was very tired, so it could have been the Shanghai Pu-Dong airport instead), where there are a few plasmas showing flight information. Since the text is always on the same lines - at the end of each row, you can see burn-in of the text that was there in the past.

Of course, for home theater use, things have been really improved. As contrast ratios and brightness increases for plasmas, their susceptability to burn-in is reduced.

Reduced does not mean eliminated altogether. It means it will take a longer period of time before a picture is burnt into the screen.

On a couple of occasions, I've found myself tearing hair off my skull for leaving the TV on by mistake (falling asleep, going upstairs to chat on the internet or on this forum) while a "channel has stopped transmitting" message was on the screen. Luckily, I haven't subjected my current NEC plasma to enough damage to cause anything but light shadows that evaporated after a short period of time.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I don't know how what I said in this thread could not be considered official.... :) It's almost a month later and it's still there. My case is not even remotely an example of glaringly obvious burn-in (for which I am very thankful), but it is certainly not ghosting. I've put over 200 hours of regular usage on the screen since I first noticed it, and it is still visible on a white screen. I have been more careful since then, and my extra care has paid off - - no new instances of burn-in.

·
Registered
996 Posts
I use my plasma mostly for gaming. It was my 10 year olds birthday on thanksgiving, Thursday for you non US folks. I purchased him Tony Hawk 4 for Xbox. Looked awsome. But after the kids played for 4-5 hours straight the plasma had strong ghosting.

But an 2 hours of watching the Rams sucking, HDTV moving pictures, took care of it almost completely. Plasmas are very, very subject to ghosting. It is amazing.

-Jym-

-Jym-

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by markrubin
no one said burn- in is a phanthom fear-

it is a legitimate concern that should be addressed

our own FAQ deals with it and how to avoid it

http://www.avsforumfaq.com/~plasma/#burnin

Luckily, or because many of us are careful- we don't see many (any? )burn-in reports

the newer plasmas are said to be better with regard to burn-in

Mark
Thanks Mark.

Looks like there was a bit of confusion on this issue based on some of the responses to the post. Others had the same impression that I did, i.e., felt they could not find any posts actually documenting it.

Having a few of the members who had actually experienced or saw burn-in on screens does make burn in a real concern to any potential plasma purchaser (like myself).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.