AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please explain the burn-in issue with CRT RPTV 16x9 sets?

Is there a crt rptv that doesn't have this problem? If not, can someone suggest a crt rptv 4x3 that has 16x9 enhancement?

Thank you,

Peggy M.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mrsflweb
Can someone please explain the burn-in issue with CRT RPTV 16x9 sets?

Is there a crt rptv that doesn't have this problem? If not, can someone suggest a crt rptv 4x3 that has 16x9 enhancement?

Thank you,

Peggy M.
All CRT RPTVs have this vulnerability. "Burn-in" is simply differential wear over time when some part of the screen has a static image for a large fraction of the time when the TV is on. Common examples of static images which have been known to cause problems are bright station logo bugs, stock ticker crawls at the bottom of news channels, video games (especially game menus), black bars around 4:3 images on a 16:9 screen, and black bars above/below 16:9 images on a 4:3 screen. Note that buying a 4:3 screen does not solve the problem, it just affects which material has black bars.

There are several ways to deal with this vulnerability:

1) Reduce contrast, which is almost always set too high from the factory. This makes the screen wear more slowly overall, and is a smart thing to do regardless.

2) Use stretch modes to fill the screen when the aspect ratio of the material doesn't match the screen. Some sets are better than anothers in terms of stretching without obvious "fun-house" distortions.

3) Use gray bars rather than black bars to fill-in the sides when aspect ratio of the material doesn't match the screen. This reduces, but does not eliminate differential wear between the main image and the fill-in bars.

4) Don't leave video games running or paused when the players leave the room.

5) Don't worry about it too much. By the time burn-in is objectionable the set may be obsolete anyway.

My strategy is "all of the above". My own set (which I acquired used) came with some very slight burn-in which I can see on some test patterns but rarely notice otherwise.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.