AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check this out. I do not know what to make of it. I would like to call this IR but it really just seems strange looking to be IR. Not so much a retention of any particular image but just bars like a bar code.

The picture doesn't do it justice as for how pronounced it really is, but It is definitely possible to see it by looking at the image. Thoughts? Is this even an IR problem?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I watch a good deal of ESPN. My running hypothesis has been that this is the cause for lack of a better explanation. But it just doesn't seem right because I don't get a "logo" or anything like that or notice it before turning off the TV.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well. I just flipped over to ESPN to have a look. The color scheme kind of matches up to that stupid ticker they have at the bottom. But I never would have expected it to leave uniform little stripes like that.

Solution? Sponge Bob on repeat? Pray?

·
Registered
145 Posts
I had some really bad IR when our plasma was brand new from my son watching Sesame Street. It was the first thing we watched on the new TV... And he watched a couple hours of them. (They put "ei" on the upper right in black surrounded by a white circle.)

What fixed mine was putting the 120 Break in slides on a USB thumb drive and playing them overnight. (By morning it was mostly gone. After a few days it was completely gone.)

I later realized that I was using a setting that had pixel shift / orbiter disabled... And that I would have been better off running 100 hrs of break in slides before watching stuff with very contrasty logos. After 100+ hours of break in slides and 100+ hours of normal TV viewing the IR is way better on Sesame Street. (Probably gone in 5-10 mins.)

I downloaded them from here and put them on a USB thumb drive.
http://www.webapalooza.com/plasma/index.php

(Note that my TV was a Samsung, but I figure the Panasonic will work the same way.)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orso
It doesn't look like IR.

Same pattern as the pic below. One board and/ panel must be changed.
This is spot on, and it makes a lot of sense because I didn't think I had watched anything (even ESPN) nearly long enough to create this kind of problem. I also would have noticed it before turning off the tube if it was ESPN, so this at least demystifies the problem. Better picture below...

Does anyone know what causes this? Can I do a warranty claim? Is this somehow my fault?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saneac2
Does anyone know what causes this? Can I do a warranty claim? Is this somehow my fault?
Wow. That looks a lot different than the original picture. I agree that I've never seen IR like that before. (Normally IR looks like ghosting and it is mostly white/gray or muted in color.)

I'd go the warranty / exchange route.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.