AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 55'' Panasonic STW60 and started running break-in images on it. Now I noticed there some kind of burn-in or something at the right side: Whenever the screen is filled white or light gray or green, I can see a soft black stripe running from top to bottom around 5-8cm from the right end of the screen.

Is that a damage or can it be normal?

Will it go away eventually?

Should I return the TV?

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
do you see it during normal movie watching or gaming?

·
Registered
69 Posts

Burn in is very common on new plasma's but is very very rarely permanent.  Just use the TV as normal and it will go away eventually.  Of course if you come up on the warranty expiration and its still there (not likely) be sure to take advantage of the warranty before its too late.

·
Premium Member
18,311 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by welovesundays  /t/1523034/burn-in-on-brand-new-panel-possible-panasonic-stw60/0_60#post_24495362

I bought a 55'' Panasonic STW60 and started running break-in images on it. Now I noticed there some kind of burn-in or something at the right side: Whenever the screen is filled white or light gray or green, I can see a soft black stripe running from top to bottom around 5-8cm from the right end of the screen.

Is that a damage or can it be normal?

Will it go away eventually?

Should I return the TV?

If you look at the ST60 thread (and VT60 thread) you'll see similar reports from a few owners, but it's not burn-in. My ST60 doesn't have it so i didn't read up on it, but i think it's just an anomoly in the filter or sumthin.

Did you check the Hours in the TV's Help menu to make sure it's new? Is this a German model?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus738  /t/1523034/burn-in-on-brand-new-panel-possible-panasonic-stw60#post_24495690

do you see it during normal movie watching or gaming?
Not sure, because so far I didn't use it for anything else than playing those break-in images. I doubt I would see it during normal movie watching because running the break-in images I can only see it when the white, light-gray and green image is shown.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaTechPC  /t/1523034/burn-in-on-brand-new-panel-possible-panasonic-stw60#post_24496531

Burn in is very common on new plasma's but is very very rarely permanent.
I know that, of course. I'm just suprised it's there on a brand-new TV which I haven't used yet at all. So how can there be burn-in?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters  /t/1523034/burn-in-on-brand-new-panel-possible-panasonic-stw60#post_24496570

Did you check the Hours in the TV's Help menu to make sure it's new? Is this a German model?
Yes, it's the German model. I didn't check the hours because I read that information is hidden somewhere in the service menu which I'm not allowed to access without risking to lose warranty.

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
Can you post a photo ? That doesnt sound like IR, alot of the Panasonics have a similar strip that shows up. May be completely normal

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll try to take a photo later and post it. Just not sure if I'll be able to capture it on a photo, especially since I only have the iPhone camera. But let me try it first...

·
Premium Member
18,311 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by welovesundays  /t/1523034/burn-in-on-brand-new-panel-possible-panasonic-stw60/0_60#post_24497365

.... so far I didn't use it for anything else than playing those break-in images. I doubt I would see it during normal movie watching because running the break-in images I can only see it when the white, light-gray and green image is shown. I know that, of course. I'm just surprised it's there on a brand-new TV which I haven't used yet at all. So how can there be burn-in?

I just looked at my own ST60's screen using the break in images and i have two very faint narrow stripes running from top to bottom near the right edge of the screen. (kinda like a racing stripe). I thought maybe it's something in the break in files so i brought up a bunch of HD Wallpaper screen saver images and some of them show the exact same lines. I haven't watched anything that would have caused it to get burned in so it must be something in the panel or AR filter. I've had the TV for several months and even though i've seen some reports of this, i never went looking for it until now and i've noticed it in regular viewing, but then again i'm more focused on the center of the screen and not looking at the edges and it won't be an issue for me even though i now know it's there. And i'm not going to go looking for it either (just as i don't go looking for IR from logos).

Quote:
Yes, it's the German model. I didn't check the hours because I read that information is hidden somewhere in the service menu which I'm not allowed to access without risking to lose warranty.

On the 2013 North American models that this forum covers, the Hours can now be checked in the regular settings menu without having to go into the Service Menu like on all the previous years models.

German models have different menus than our NA models do, but i presume that yours will also have a way to see the hours like we do. On our models, we press Menu > scroll down to Help > select Version > then on the line that says Status4 the hours are shown after the letter. A0018-0000 for instance means it has 18 hours on it. Press Exit when you're done. See if you have the same or similar method in your regular menu. Mine currently says C1084-0000 so it has 1,084 hours on it. The letter A changes to B after so many hours, then later changes to C, but the numbers after the letter tell the actual hours used.

·
Registered
646 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by welovesundays  /t/1523034/burn-in-on-brand-new-panel-possible-panasonic-stw60#post_24497516

I'll try to take a photo later and post it. Just not sure if I'll be able to capture it on a photo, especially since I only have the iPhone camera. But let me try it first...

I took this video with my iPhone a couple of weeks ago. Running slides and a video I found on YouTube has helped. I still have the IR, but it is fading. When it's completely gone or barely visible I'll post an updated video to show the differences.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I tried to take a video with my iPhone (5s, so I think it's HD video) two times, but you cannot see anything on the video. Is there any trick on how to take a video from the TV screen?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts