AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there I have an LG HDTV LCD 32" and I am a heavy duty PS3 player. One of the games that i usually play has a chess board with 9 fields printed like a mat on the screen, which never changes. The game is called Eye of Judgment for those who do not know it. I have these fields printed on my screen for several weeks now and the think is getting worse day by day. I simply cannot watch any movies because I have the stupid chessboard printed like an x-ray on my TV. I tried unplugging the TV, I tried leaving a white screen saver on for 3 nights (about 8 hours) and i tried jscreenfix prog. Nothing worked and i am really disappointed. What should i do and why does this persistence gets worse day by day?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonijo /forum/post/15523918


Hello there I have an LG HDTV LCD 32" and I am a heavy duty PS3 player. One of the games that i usually play has a chess board with 9 fields printed like a mat on the screen, which never changes. The game is called Eye of Judgment for those who do not know it. I have these fields printed on my screen for several weeks now and the think is getting worse day by day. I simply cannot watch any movies because I have the stupid chessboard printed like an x-ray on my TV. I tried unplugging the TV, I tried leaving a white screen saver on for 3 nights (about 8 hours) and i tried jscreenfix prog. Nothing worked and i am really disappointed. What should i do and why does this persistence gets worse day by day?

You should call up the manufacturer if its still under warranty because that's a defect.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The warranty states that the company is not responsible for burn in problems caused by the user??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
196 Posts

Quote:
You should call up the manufacturer if its still under warranty because that's a defect.

Um, no. LCD is susceptible to image retention ("burn" if you prefer) and it is not a warranty-covered issue, especially in a case as extreme as this user is describing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
282 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffman13 /forum/post/15532540


funny, i thought burn-in was a plasma-only issue. itneresting to hear LCD owners are affected by it too.

It is one of those things that is sweep under the rug because it happens less than plasma.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
121 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffman13 /forum/post/15532540


funny, i thought burn-in was a plasma-only issue. itneresting to hear LCD owners are affected by it too.

Well, burn-in can happen with normal old CRT TV's as well, but no one would argue that CRT TV's are plagued by IR issues and burn-in like Plasmas. I would say LCD TV's are close to CRT TV's when talking about susceptibility to IR and burn-in (i.e. it's very rare).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,769 Posts
Remind me to never buy an lg lcd...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
378 Posts
Here at work on our SCADA system the same image stays on screen for long periods of time...quite a bit of image retention...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOldVinyl /forum/post/15531840


Um, no. LCD is susceptible to image retention ("burn" if you prefer) and it is not a warranty-covered issue, especially in a case as extreme as this user is describing.

I'd think that LCD IR is a problem associated with defective or poor quality panels. I own a Sony and there is nothing in the documentation that says anything about permanent IR being a problem. Also, there is no mention of IR as user abuse and specifically excluded from the warranty.


The technology itself is not susceptible to burn in. If it was then it would be unsuitable for the hundreds of millions of computers and laptops that use LCDs to display static images for hours and hours on end.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
174 Posts
"Tonijo" could u pls post some pics to show us the burn in??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh :-| /forum/post/15533631


I'd think that LCD IR is a problem associated with defective or poor quality panels. I own a Sony and there is nothing in the documentation that says anything about permanent IR being a problem. Also, there is no mention of IR as user abuse and specifically excluded from the warranty.


The technology itself is not susceptible to burn in. If it was then it would be unsuitable for the hundreds of millions of computers and laptops that use LCDs to display static images for hours and hours on end.

I have seen IR/Burnin occur on a number of LCD monitors at work. And the brands range from Dell, HP, and Samsung. It does occur on LCD screens, it just takes considerably more effort and time to do. For instance these monitors had been left on 24/7 at the same login prompt for years.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
282 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh :-| /forum/post/15533631



The technology itself is not susceptible to burn in. If it was then it would be unsuitable for the hundreds of millions of computers and laptops that use LCDs to display static images for hours and hours on end.

You also recall CRT being the dominion technology for many years before LCD took over?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,970 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lofar /forum/post/15535405


I have seen IR/Burnin occur on a number of LCD monitors at work. And the brands range from Dell, HP, and Samsung. It does occur on LCD screens, it just takes considerably more effort and time to do. For instance these monitors had been left on 24/7 at the same login prompt for years.

Ditto, and it's never been IR........it's always been burn in.


Plasma = IR, abuse & it can be burned in.


LCD = much harder to do but once done it's permanent, true burn in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,087 Posts
I've never seen burn in on an LCD, but it's possible. What picture settings did you use? I would hope that you're not using Dynamic.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top