AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up the RCA F38310 widescreen tv and love it so far. However i have seen a lot of threads about burn in and watching 4:3 on a 16:9 tv. I thought this was only a problem with rear projections since no where in the manual does it mention limiting the amount of 4:3 watching. But in reading through some of the threads it seems that it is possible on the direct view as well. Can you pros tell me the real story so I don't accidently damage my new toy.

thanks

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
One of my AVS forum friends didn't take my advice and burned a 4:3 image on F-38310.

In your manual it states that the grey bars are not always active. Since June of last year I have yet to watch a program in the 4:3 mode. Always in the 2nd choice or full mode. I use my HDTV for having one hell of big monitor, biggest front tube model of a 16 x 9 format in the world!

Stretching an image is more noticeable from the side, if you or the 2 of you look directly at it, you will get use to a person being a bit thicker in the face only if the image is *not* a wide screen.

Go to menu push in go down to the 6th choice hit then go down to the 4th choice extend your arrow to right and pick full box, then hit clear.

If you ever seen my HDTV with a DVD wide screen movie on it connected by Silver Serpent components going thru my pass-thru component switcher to allow 4 component devices to 1 input Y-Pr-Pb you would be amazed. When use it as your home theatre personal computer you don't see thick at all, even my html stretches as didn't need addional coding. Since I am on webtv I have a line *doubled* Home Theatre Web Browser in full.

1 year later I still am, and 713 DVD discs owner with 2 Sony mega changers and CX-875 300+1 progressive changer ready for sale in August with price tag of $500. Stay on it and 1 year later I still don't have screen burn. 16 hours a day 7 days a week on, I am disabled do you understand things now? Good Luck with your fine purchase.:)

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
OK, If you set contrast ALL the way up, and then watch a 4:3 digital image without gray sidebars, you can get burn in.

If you get Avia or Video essentials and propperly set the black level and contrast settings, you should be fine.

You should still avoid leaving screen-saverless menus (like VCR's, video games and some DVD's have) on-screen for long periods of time (i.e. overnight).

The gray screen is there to age the phospher at the same rate over the whole screen. When you view 4:3 video through the progressive video input, and when 4:3 OTA digital is sent in a 16:9 format you lose the gray bars -- they go black. You can ask the OTA station to reformat their signal (see my post on KXAN in the "local" HDTV forum), but, if you turn the cideo settings down to the levels they are supposed to be, this isn't an issue unless the vast majority of programming you watch lacks these bars.

Generally, burn-in isn't as much a risk as with RPTV's.

Joe

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.