AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Several months ago, my wife's out-of-town cousin and her family were visiting. Her husband was very impressed with our Samsung DLP (HL-P5674).

He went on to tell me about the great deal he got on his Mits 53" RP CRT.

A couple of weeks ago we reciprocated and were visiting them. He couldn't wait to show off his TV to me. As I'm watching, I immediately notice that the burn-in from the sidebox bars. He asks me about it and I check his settings. THe contrast and brightness were turned WAAAAY up.

I brought the adjustments down, but since I didn't have my DVE DVD with me, I couldn't really do any calibrations.

My question is.... Is this type of burn-in permanent? What would it take to correct it.

I had a feeling that the TV was toast, but I didn't have the heart to tell him.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Most of the time, any type of burn-in, or what may look like image retention, is "fairly" permanent on CRT's. Best thing for him to do if it's available is to view some "snow" when the TV isn't in use, and to make sure to stretch the image when possible.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_006
Most of the time, any type of burn-in, or what may look like image retention, is "fairly" permanent on CRT's. Best thing for him to do if it's available is to view some "snow" when the TV isn't in use, and to make sure to stretch the image when possible.

Thanks. I also just read the "burn-in" thread. SHould have looked there before I posted.

·
Registered
143 Posts
look at the last post from roger on the burn-in thread

he suggests buying new guns (about $500-600 plus install)

also i have heard that pure snow for several days (weeks?) will age the phosphors down to the point that burn-in will be aged out

·
Registered
253 Posts
I also have a burn-in issue. I'm wondering if anyone knows how to go about replacing the guns. I'm going to be buying a new LCD RP, but if I can get this back in orginal condition I could give it to my parents or try to sell it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.