AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to assess the risk of burn-in on the 34XBR910. My concern is based on the fact that I will be watching, at least for the next year or two, a lot of 4:3 programming.

I am getting conflicting info and continue to seek insight.

Local TV experts said there is a risk and that I should use one of the zoom or stretch modes to avoid the risk.

At this site, many have said that, if properly calibrated, the risk should be minimal.

Out of insanity, I posed the question to Sony and got a response which makes NO SENSE...Following is the response.

Question...Is it safe to watch 4:3 programming on a 16:9 dirvet view TV such as the 34XBR910 without using zoom or stretch (i.e. with the black bars)? or will doing so for extended periods of time cause burn-in?

Answer...Response (Ronnie) - 09/13/2003 07:19 AM

Thank you for your inquiry regarding zoom mode for the Sony KV-34XBR910 Television.

You can use the zoom mode to watch the 4:3 programming on the 16:9 aspect ratio Television. However it is not recommended to use the zoom mode for very long hours or long extended periods as it may cause a burn-in.

Why would zoom cause a risk of burn-in? It seems like that would actually mitigate the risk.

Any thoughts on the risks would be appreciated....I am torn between the 34XBR910, a 36 or 40 XBR800, and the 42WE610 LCD projection.

THanks!!!!!!!!!

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
Don't worry about burn-in on direct-views as long as you adjust the contrast down to a reasonable level like 50-60 (not 100). I have no burnin at all after using a 34" 16:9 CRT TV for almost 2 years with a mixture of aspect ratios. Burnin is more of an issue on RPTVs where the CRTs are burning at a much higher level.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.