AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, My Toshiba 57H83 is being delivered tommarow night, and I have a few questions. I know that there is some risk of Burn in on RPTV's. I'm wondering how prevelant that is in todays sets. I do plan on playing videogames on the TV, and have heard that stationary objects on the screen will burn in after a period of time. Should I be worried about that?

Thanks

-Rob

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
If you like to play videogames i'm suprised you didn't look into the other HDTV options right now. LCD and DLP are perfect for gamers as there is no risk of burn in.

As for the tv you've already bought, no one can tell you for sure how much risk there is for burn-in. There is clearly some risk. All I can say is i'd hate to have to worry about that everytime I played a videogame for more than 30 minutes. Any game with menus or information on the screen all the time is not a good thing. For instance, playing Madden with the score display in the left hand corner of the screen. That type of thing could be a problem.

Tiger

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
seems like we have a new thread on this topic every day.

Burn-in is not a myth, but the risk is almost always overstated. The following factors are present in most cases of burn-in I've seen discussed on this forum.

1) TV is heavily used over a long period of time.

2) Extensive viewing of a few sources which contain static objects or screen layouts.

3) Contrast set higher than necessary.

A few commonsense precautions can make this a non-issue for you.

1) Reduce the contrast to an appropriate level, using a calibration DVD such as AVIA or Digital Video Essentials.

2) Don't leave video games on the TV when no-one is playing them.

3) Don't expect the TV to last 25 years. TV technology is changing much more rapidly than in the past, and with proper care today's sets will be obsolete long before you notice burn-in.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
You should definitely be careful playing video games on your CRT RPTV. The reason video games are dangerous, is because some games leave static images on the screen for unknown periods of time. How much time does it take? I don't know. Some have stated they have gotten burn in in less than an hour while others never had that issue. The same goes for any channels that use station logos which can burn in on the screen too (such as CNN, PBS, or ESPN). At minimum, you may want to turn down the brightness and contrast when playing games. The whole burn-in scare is one reason why DLP and LCD RPTVs are so popular. I bought a DLP since I didn't want any worries when I play xbox games. To my eyes, DLPs have the best picture in bright scenes but average to low light scenes look much better on a CRT RPTV. If I were only watching movies, I would have bought a CRT RPTV and saved $1000 or more.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.