AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in need a a different TV to replace my Hitachi 57" 1080i RPTV. It is about 6 years old hooked up to Dishnet HD and DVD of course. Well after the years of watching SD content with the black bars on the sides their is a slight burn in that you can notice when watching HD or wide screen content now, mostly with lighter colors.

I understand that Plasma can also have burn in and LCD doesn't. My question is has the technology improved at all so that I won't have these black bars burn into the side of a plasma screen from watching SD content? I would prefer to go plasma but if burn in is still a real issue I think I am going to have to go LCD

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
burn-in isn't technically an issue anymore but i'm sure if you watched thousands of hours of 4:3 content then overtime you would end up with uneven wear. i just stretch everything that is 4:3. i could care less if it is true to the source or not, i'd rather fill the screen.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Am i the only one that sets there cable box to output 480i on SD content so it fills the screen.

and if so, why? am i doing something wrong?

·
Registered
5,377 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourtytwoinch /forum/post/16989696

Why would you want to worry about something happening? You can get burn-in when watching lots of SD with dark or light grey bars and definitely with black bars.

I have been watching more SD than HD on my px60u, on my px75u, on both my px80us, and now on both my x1s. I have never had "burn-in."

For about the fifth time, I request: please post photos of a modern plasma with burn-in. So far no results.

Larry

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury /forum/post/16989548

Am i the only one that sets there cable box to output 480i on SD content so it fills the screen?

No, there is one other guy here still doing that

Quote:
and if so, why? am i doing something wrong?

Yes, you're watching SD. Stop that!!

·
Registered
3,422 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/16989781

No, there is one other guy here still doing that

Yes, you're watching SD. Stop that!!

seriously
why would anyone watch SD programing with bars on the sside when 480i fills the screen. and if the 480i stretches the picture i cant tell.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury /forum/post/16990370

seriously
why would anyone watch SD programing with bars on the sside when 480i fills the screen. and if the 480i stretches the picture i cant tell.

I have tried all the different stretch and zoom option on both the TV and Sat Receiver to fill the screen. Personally I think they all look like crap and would rather have the bars. That is why I asked the question. It either has to do one of two things 1) Stretch everyong to look fat and pudgy 2) cut their heads and feet off. Or a combination of both

·
Registered
964 Posts
If this is the case, my local YMCA should have burn in on all the 5 sets they have set up.

They have 1 Panny, and 4 LG sets. They are beautiful, but everytime I'm there, it's FOX News or CNN and ESPNHD. Those sets have GOT to have burn because sometimes they don't even have the SD stretched out... I decided to inspect them one day, and didn't notice anything as close as I could get.

I was astonished. I know they run constantly all day too from open to close.

Burn isn't as common as people think.

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
Burn in is really only a small concern for the first 100hrs of the plasmas life. There hasnt been anything factual released proven burn-in on tvs occurring after the intial break in period.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Mudder /forum/post/16994357

I have tried all the different stretch and zoom option on both the TV and Sat Receiver to fill the screen. Personally I think they all look like crap and would rather have the bars. That is why I asked the question. It either has to do one of two things 1) Stretch everyong to look fat and pudgy 2) cut their heads and feet off. Or a combination of both

Ill take some pics and post them later of 480i. no one looks fat and pudgy to me...

·
Registered
5,377 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury /forum/post/16995846

Ill take some pics and post them later of 480i. no one looks fat and pudgy to me...

Then you are cutting off the top and bottom of the picture. It is impossible to fit a 4:3 picture into a 16:9 frame without doing so. I don't know whether or not you will believe or understand this. From what you have already said, I think not.

Larry

·
Registered
3,422 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryInRI /forum/post/16995928

Then you are cutting off the top and bottom of the picture. It is impossible to fit a 4:3 picture into a 16:9 frame without doing so. I don't know whether or not you will believe or understand this. From what you have already said, I think not.

Larry

You think not Larry.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.