AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I am just starting to look into plasma for my home theater. I am planning to use a 42 " or 50" for general TV watching (hopefully an increasing amount of HDTV), but have a screen come down over it for a front projector that I would use to watch movies. Leaning toward the Fujitsus. I know that burn-in is a potential problem, but I thought is was an issue with watching 4:3 TV without stretching to fill the screen, or with logos or other constant images. But I was just reading that it was an issue with watching movies/DVD's of different aspect ratios, and that the letterbox bars can lead to burn-in. They were suggesting not to watch more than one 2.35:1 DVD in succession, following it up with a 16:9 DVD, etc. Is this in fact true, does one need to be this careful with these sets?? And arrange movies according to the effect the aspect ratios may permanently have upon their EXPENSIVE displays?? please, I am looking for some reassurance!

Robert

·
Registered
299 Posts
If you intend watching only letterbox movie sources on the plasma then there is a concern since the black bars will not age at the same rate as the area of the screen that is actually in use.

If you are watching a mixture of full screen and letterbox formats then I personally wouldn't worry too much.

All we are talking about here is cummulative aging, it isn't that watching two letterbox movies in a row is going to damage the screen it just means that the greater the proportion of letterbox to full screen the greater the potential problem over time.

Some screens let you set the black areas to a neutral grey to help age them, I find the grey distracting myself, others offer a white screen wash that can be used periodically.

As the proportion of full screen to letterbox viewing on my screen is about 80:20 I'm not going to let it worry me.

Mark

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
dr pinot:

Most plasmas have a feature called Orbiter or something similar, which can be turned on or off. In the case of a Pioneer 503CMX, it works with all inputs and every 8 minutes or so, it moves the screen image a few pixels. This is supposed to help avoid the burn in problem. I watch a lot of 2.35:1 DVD's and haven't seen a problem on mine after a few months of use.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.