AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am ready to purchase a new monitor and have narrowed it down to DLP or CRT. The deciding factor is the issue of burn in. Is this really a concern? Has anyone ever seen a burned in image on a crt? I notice alot of people reporting how much better thier pq is on crt. The monitor I purchase will be used for heavy gaming and hopefuly a pc monitor. Please give me first hand accounts and not what you have heard or read. I hope this does not turn into a debate on why my monitor is better than yours. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
If you are talking RP CRT, yes, they burn in. DLP does not. It's that simple.

Now if you are talking a direct view CRT yes, you can burn them with very heavy black bars, or static logos, but it's not so guaranteed to happen.

In ancy case, the picture quality of a good DLP is better than CRT anyway.

Doug McDonald

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good point Doug. I am talking about RP monitors. Thanks for your input. I am just wanting to avoid paying good money for something I may not need, (referring to DLP).

·
Registered
237 Posts
I won't get into a which is better picture arguement, but I will say I have had a rp crt for five years and never had burn-in. I just replaced it with a new 55 inch widescreen rp crt. For me a well calibrated crt can't be beat. Burn-in to me is kinda like bigfoot. I keep hearing about it but the only ones I have actually seen are in arcades where the image is there 24-7. Do a search much has been written about this. If burn in is a major concern spend twice as much for a dlp or lcd and you won't ever have to worry about it. Me, I turn my brightness and contrast down to about the middle, always stretch my picture so I don't have bars and never hook up a video game system. I think burn-in is more from user error than anything else. If after being careful I get burn-in than people can say I told you so.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
The Original Poster mentioned heavy gaming.

NOTE: some DLP/LCD sets will take and show happily

full screen with full resolution and no artifacts a 720p sigal

and others (Sony?) won't. This may be a big concern if you want

720p gaming. Do ask me about that though, ask those who have tried

the 720p game boxes.

Doug McDonald

·
Registered
237 Posts
Sorry, I missed that. Dlp or lcd is the way to go for him. I wouldn't game at all on a CRT. Good catch on the 720p for x-box, some don't display that well.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by foowigs

I won't get into a which is better picture arguement,
and never hook up a video game system. I think burn-in is more from user error than anything else. If after being careful I get burn-in than people can say I told you so.
Well, there you go. It just so happens that he wants to hook up a game system. Playing games on a hugh TV is awesome.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes infact that is the game console I will be using XBox. So now it is down to LCD or DLP. Can anyone recommend a model in DLP or LCD that will display PC very well? The out on my vid card include S-video, DVI and VGA.

Thanks again for your help. Oh and by the way which has superior viewing angle LCD or DLP?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by iFaQ
Yes infact that is the game console I will be using XBox. So now it is down to LCD or DLP. Can anyone recommend a model in DLP or LCD that will display PC very well? The out on my vid card include S-video, DVI and VGA.

>>Any Samsung HLN model DLP.

Thanks again for your help. Oh and by the way which has superior viewing angle LCD or DLP?

>>DLP definitely, though somewhat vertically challenged, horizontally it beats the others hands down.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by iFaQ
I am ready to purchase a new monitor and have narrowed it down to DLP or CRT. The deciding factor is the issue of burn in. Is this really a concern? Has anyone ever seen a burned in image on a crt? I notice alot of people reporting how much better thier pq is on crt. The monitor I purchase will be used for heavy gaming and hopefuly a pc monitor. Please give me first hand accounts and not what you have heard or read. I hope this does not turn into a debate on why my monitor is better than yours. Thanks for the help.
My first hand account is that I had a Pioneer rear-proj CRT set, 46", that I just sold. It had the QVC price box (left) and phone number (bottom) burned into the CRTs.

It IS a problem. You have to be very careful. I was very careful, always, and it STILL happened. The manual cautions about it.

If contrast is hiked "too high" the image can burn in very quickly. (What is too high, and what is very quickly? ... not specified)

I would never have another rear-proj. CRT set. Never.

Another reason is, if your set is in a brightly lit room (sunlit) ... good luck seeing a picture during the daytime.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Acura this is where I think burn-in can be misleading. I know my neighbor had CNN on 24/7 then wondered why he got burn in. I have never known anyone to watch QVC for a few minutes or even for a few hours. Maybe you are the exception to the rule, but most QVCers have that thing turned on from sunup to sundown. DLP's and LCD's aren't w/o their problems, I mean c'mon look at the posts. CRT problem posts are far and few inbetween, and they are mainly calibration issues. Burn-in happens but not nearly to the extent some would have you believe.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Quote:
Acura this is where I think burn-in can be misleading. I know my neighbor had CNN on 24/7 then wondered why he got burn in. I have never known anyone to watch QVC for a few minutes or even for a few hours. Maybe you are the exception to the rule, but most QVCers have that thing turned on from sunup to sundown. DLP's and LCD's aren't w/o their problems, I mean c'mon look at the posts. CRT problem posts are far and few inbetween, and they are mainly calibration issues. Burn-in happens but not nearly to the extent some would have you believe.
Foo, I'm not sure really why it happened. Yes, QVC can be left on for a long time ... but shortly after I got the set I personally "calibrated" it with Video Essentials, so I know for sure the contrast setting was never very high (like, only about 25% of max). Could it be that long use on a channel like QVC, even at low contrast levels, caused it? I don't know.

OTOH, I had it repaired a couple of years ago, and when the set came back the guys had really cranked up the brightness/contrast. The set was on for about 10 minutes before I realized it (turned on, made sure picture came on, left the room for a few minutes, came back, said, "whoa that's one BRIGHT picture"). Could that short use on QVC, at a very high contrast level, have caused it? I don't know.

I had never noticed the problem before then.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Acura, nice car by the way I got the TL. I wanted to wait for the 2004, but they threw the 2003 at me. It sounds like you were very careful, and from what you say should not have got burn-in. I can understand however if it happened to you once you wouldn't want to buy another one. I almost went DLP until I saw all the problems people were having. I figure I can enjoy HD with the CRT for a few years w/o a huge investment then go DLP or LCD in the future. I do agree with the lighted room, but one of the reasons I got the CRT was that I could take the protective screen off. The only place we can put the TV is opposite some windows and the glare is awful, it is the main reason we went CRT five years ago. Back then the protective shield was an option. On the Mits it is an easy thing just to pop it off.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Quote:
.... I figure I can enjoy HD with the CRT for a few years w/o a huge investment then go DLP or LCD in the future. I do agree with the lighted room, but one of the reasons I got the CRT was that I could take the protective screen off. The only place we can put the TV is opposite some windows and the glare is awful, it is the main reason we went CRT five years ago. Back then the protective shield was an option. On the Mits it is an easy thing just to pop it off.
That actually makes some sense. CRT RProj is definitely a good bargain these days.

I ended up choosing the Panasonic Rear Proj. LCD. Much better price than DLP ... no reports of rainbows, snowballs, strange tints ... no, the contrast is not as great. But the picture is very very good. And the complaints are very very few. I am hoping it is a good choice. Awaiting delivery mid-next week (estimate).

Good luck with your Mits CRTs. Keep an eye on those tubes :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.