AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are you able to get the programs off of Replay TV and burn them to a DVD burner. I would like to get a replay tv but I want to be able to get the programs off so i can burn them to dvd.

help

·
Registered
188 Posts
Yes, search for DVArchive. It grabs the mpeg2 file from the replaytv and puts it on your computer. The file usually has some errors that can be corrected with RTVTools. Both Standard and Medium quality recordings can be burnt directly to DVD (and SVCD?) with no file conversion using ULead Movie Factory 2. Do some searching, the forum is filled with this kind of info.

Alternatively you could get the Mustek DVD Recorder to offload shows to, advertised at techbargains for $239 from HSN shipped free.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Yes, it's possible, but don't buy a Replay thinking it's a super easy process. First you need to d/l the program to your computer which could take hours or more (although the DV Archive program lets you schedule downloads so you can do it while you aren't there). Then most people trim out the commercials, then you need to author and burn the DVD.

Not including the Download time, it might take 45 mins or more to burn a DVD for an hour long show.

Also: to make the process faster, you will want to record your shows in Medium quality on your replay. This is a DVD compliant spec and will make the transition to DVD faster. The downside is that it will take up twice as much space on your Replay TV. So if you buy a 5540 (40 hour) model and record shows in Medium quality, you will only be able to save up to 20 hours on your Replay.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Using med. quality on a 5k, it takes a few minutes to edit commercials in Womble, a few minutes to set up a simple menu in DVDlab and 8 minutes to burn on my plextor 708A.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ccapozzoli
I was just told by Replay customer service that you need a 400 or 5000 series player. A 55 series play will not do it.

Any response to that?

Thanks
This Forum knows more about Replays than any customer service rep that ever worked for Replay (except of course, for those reps who are also Forum members).

DVArchive, etc. is third party software so I don't know why you'd even try to get them to answer questions about this. You did read up on DVArchive by now, right?

Trust us... it can certainly be done.... I personally don't do it, but from what I've read I'd say you are likely to experience something somwhere in between the two extremes represented here already. It is certainly not painless, but can be pared down to a relatively simple process that won't take all of your time.

And... do you realize that of course you can also just archive shows to your PCs hard drive??? Maybe when you think about that you won't feel the need to burn as many DVDs.

Finally... only the 55xx series are in production any more. (though I would recommend buying 50xx if you can find one for the Commercial Advance and show sharing features).

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you guy sooo much. I know I am in the right place. I want to get one to save the super bowl and I just wanted to make sure there was a way to burn to DVD. I feel better now.

Now I just need a new computer to go along with the new replay.

Thanks again I know I will be back.

Chris

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.