AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a set of small LCD units installed in one of our attractions (theme park), and they are suffering what appears to be burn in.

THey are on 18 hours a day, and for about 15 of those hours, they are displaying a static image of a geometric shape, moving cloud and sky imagery the rest of the time.

It was noticed that when the signal to them was blanked, an after image of the geometric shape was still visible. At first it was thought this might me signal leakage, but when the feed was disconnected and a black frame generator hooked up, same result.

I vaguely remember a thread about LCD burn-in on this forum, but search is not turning it up.

Anyone recall, or have advice on how to reverse this? I seem to recall someone suggesting a procedure to correct the problem periodically.

Thanks.

BB

·
Registered
892 Posts
Playing the image that did the damage in reverse/negative values should work if anything will at this point,it does with plasmas...but i thought lcd pj's were impervious to this kind of damage.Anyone else?

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
try just a white image for a couple of hours

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
365 days a year. This is a theme park ride. It don't close. During summer hours when the park is closedonly about 6 hours, the PJ maybe on 24/7.

BB

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
You know recently I noticed the same thing on my laptop LCD (Dell UltraSharp 15"). Right where the Internet Explorer title page is, I can see what appears to be burned in lettering (not legible), but it's EXACTLY where the MSIE titlebar is when maximized.

I thought to myself, "What the heck? It's LCD, they don't burn... do they?"

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
I was joking, dreamstate. I, most of all, would know how fragile CRT tubes can be, but the pictures they produce are so sweet.

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Yes, LCD can burn-in. Just try not to have stationary images for very long periods of time.

-Mr. Wigggles

·
Registered
182 Posts
I think DLP is the only technology that is totally protected toward burn-in. I have also seen LCD's with burns from a golf center that used them continuously like you do... Go for DLP next time!

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Could not avoid the static image. It is the way the show goes.

Could not use DLP. Small enough units were not available at the price point when installed, and the viewers can be in motion leading to very obvious rainbows.

Thanks.

BB

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.