AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When watching a letterboxed DVD, the letterbox image gets burned into the projector and there is a faint letterbox window which is noticeable on my screen when viewing non letterboxed material (i.e. HDTV). The burned in image goes away when I turn the power off on my calibrated D-ILA G-15 completely and let rest for sometimes up to 24 hours. Is this normal. Is this a Rock issue or a D-ILA issue. Are there any known fixes?

Components:

JVC D-ILA G15

Rock Scaler

Kenwood DVD Player

RCA DTC 100

·
Registered
499 Posts
I've heard mention of this problem before but haven't really noticed it when I go from 2.35 to 16x9 on my G11. Apparently some temporary burn in is natural with D-ILA and it does clear up over time, though if I remember correctly it should take much less than 24 hours.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Hi Rick,

Temporary "retention" can happen, but it is not burn-in like CRTs have. Supposedly, leaving the projector off for the length of time that you had the static image displayed will clear it up.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've had extensive discussions with JVC techs about this problem on my calibrated G-11. My problem comes when i watch a ball game and the score remains on the screen when i change the channel or the input. Here's what the techs say: It's not really "burn-in,'' it's a memory problem. The DILA is remembering the image. The tech instructed me to turn off the power and unplug the projector and this should clear the memory. It has worked for me...More importantly, he says that there is nothing wrong with the projector as long the image goes away. If you do the above and the image does not go away, then it needs servicing, and I believe they replace a memory panel. Some folks believe this happens more often on calibrated projectors, but I observed it on mine before the calibration, although it seems to happen more frequently now. But the quick fix works....

Good luck,

mike

·
Registered
287 Posts
I haven't noticed the problem yet, either.

Is there a way to clear the 'memory' without having to restart the lamp? I've noticed it takes several strikes to get my warm bulb lit again. It was hypothesized here that every lamp strike takes 1/2 hr off the life of the bulb.

Jeff

[This message has been edited by JSC (edited 06-18-2001).]

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
This is apparently possible with vanilla LCDs as well. The following is a quote from the manual for a NEC LCD projector I used the other day:

"CAUTION

Avoid displaying staionary images for a prolonged period of time.

Doing so can result in those images being temporarily sustained on the surface of the LCD panel.

If this should happen, continue to use your projector. The static background from previous images will dissappear."

Gary

·
Registered
105 Posts
I had a G20 with the same problem, but it was MUCH worse.

I'm guessing that one or more of your panels is retaining

charge causing a "latent" image. Return the projector for

repair. JVC should be ashamed of not testing and catching

such a gross error at the factory.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.