AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend gave me a dvd of a movie that he made in one of his college classes and I would like to make a copy of it. It is over 4 gigs and is the quailty of a movie you would purchase. Is there a way to make a copy of this using my computer burner? I have a Sony dru-800A burner.

Would I have to rip the dvd to my harddrive and then burn it? If so how would I do that?

I got yelled at at another forum so before anyone says anything no this is not to copy store bought dvds. This really is what im trying to do.

Thanks to anyone that can take the time to help me out! :D

·
Registered
13,330 Posts
Go here: http://www.free-codecs.com/DVD_Decrypter_download.htm and download DVD Decrypter. Using this single piece of free software you can rip the DVD to your hard disk as a single .ISO file (image) and then burn the image back onto a blank disk(s) to make as many copies as you want.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
You don't need any software to do the first part of the process. Just open up the disk and drag the folder called VIDEO_TS to your hard disk. Then you just burn this folder onto a new blank DVD-R. The only tricky part is that the blank must be burned in DVD video format, rather than the data disk format that is the default for most computer burning. (If you just burn it as a data disk, you'll be able to play the video on your computer, but stand-alone DVD players won't recognize the disk.)

The burning software you already have may support this. Look for an option that says "DVD Video" or "DVD-ROM UDF". If not, you'll have to buy one of the full-featured buring programs. On the Mac, the standard is Toast 6. On the PC, I believe it is Nero, but I'm mainly a Mac person.

·
Registered
948 Posts
As Kelson says the easiest and cheapest method is with DVD Decrypter which is free. Can't remember why but I like version 3.5.3. After you download and add it to your system open it up, choose your DVD burner as your source. Then go to mode and set it for ISO read. Choose a destination folder to temporarily save the ISO file. I put mine in My Documents, make a new folder and change the name to the title of the disc so that I can easily find it later. Then click burn.

When Decrypter/computer has completed making the ISO image take the disc out of the burner and put in a blank disc. Change the mode setting to ISO write. Change source to the temp file and choose ISO 'MDS' file and open it. Change destination to the DVD burner and click burn.

Can't get any easier then that.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBW
My friend gave me a dvd of a movie that he made in one of his college classes and I would like to make a copy of it. It is over 4 gigs and is the quailty of a movie you would purchase. Is there a way to make a copy of this using my computer burner? I have a Sony dru-800A burner.

Would I have to rip the dvd to my harddrive and then burn it? If so how would I do that?

I got yelled at at another forum so before anyone says anything no this is not to copy store bought dvds. This really is what im trying to do.

Thanks to anyone that can take the time to help me out! :D
If I understand correctly, you only need to make a copy of a non-protected dvd.

I would just use NERO and select DVD COPY. If you have a DVD reader and a separate DVD writer it does not need to go to the hard drive first.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I don't know what OS the OP is using on his PC, but all those recommending he use DVDDecrypter and just copy it as an ISO file should be aware that this will not work with Win98. Win98 does not support file sizes >4 GB, and this will produce such a file. Windows XP can do this. You can use Decrypter in Win98 in file mode (which is what I do), but then you cannot use Decrypter to burn the disc.

Since this is unencrypted, nothing special needs to be done, and you should be able to just use the burning software that came with the burner to make a copy of the DVD as recommended by Rudytx.

SMK

·
Registered
948 Posts
RoyGBiv- You're right. We should have asked him what OS he has on his computer as well as the software that came with the burner.

Hello ZBW. Please respond.

·
Registered
13,330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clovisguy
I prefer to use DVD Shrink 3.2
Shrink will create an .ISO but doesn't have a burning module. It needs either Nero or DVD Decrypter to link to. So, one might as well use DVD Decrypter for the whole thing. The nice thing about using DVD Decrypter over some bundled burning software is that DVD Decrypter has an automatic verify cycle. Most other burning software I have used does not.

RoyGBiv's comments about Win-98 (FAT-32) file size is accurate. I just can't imagine anyone doing video editing with a Win-98 PC. You must be an exceptionally hearty soul.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I bought and installed this burner on Tuesday. It comes bundled with Nero software. I've successfully used it with DVD decrypter and DVD-shrink/Nero. But only after going to the Sony support web site and updating the firmware.

http://sony.storagesupport.com/dvdrw/dru800adwn.htm

Before that, it would only burn to +rw, not -r/rw. Go figure, given that it's supposed to support all media, including +/- DL discs. Also, before updating the firmware, the burned +rw wouldn't play back on my Sony standalone DVD player, although it's only a year old.

Hope this helps, ZBW.

Jake

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.