AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done some searches here and Google and I can't find the answer, so please be kind.

I recorded a 1 hour home video to my rtv using the high qualilty setting then I downloaded the file, via Dvarchive, to my PC. I made no edits to the rtv file and tried using Sonic MyDVD to burn onto my cendyne A05 -dvdr burner. The 1 hr HiQ rtv file is 2.68 GB.

MyDVD preps the audio but when it "orders files for movie" I get an error message that "The data rate of this file is too high for DVD. You must replace the file with one of a lower data rate..."

I've successfully burned a couple of test 5 min. rtv files to dvd using MyDVD in the past, but I don't remember if they were medium or high.

I suppose MyDVD can't handle a high quality rtv file. However, is there any similar dvd software that can burn an HQ rtv file without having to re-encode the file? If not, any other suggestions? Thanks.

I have: RTV 4504, 450 mhz PC w/ XP Pro.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have repeatedly burned HQ files without reencoding using Ulead DVD Workshop. Ulead has a trial for download if you want to try it out for yourself.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Sometimes the bitrate peaks above that permitted for DVD compliance. There were posts here which suggested a way of getting around that limitation. A search is in order.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Some DVD players are more tolerant than others. My stand-alone Sony DVD player has no problems dealing with those peaks, which I why I never bother with 'fixing' the high bitrate HQ files.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Samundsen,

Thanks for the Ulead tip. I was able to burn the HQ file, however, DVD workshop is over $200 and I was hoping to find a much cheaper solution. So, I'm still hoping someone out there has a less costly method.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Uleads DVD Factory is $49 and works just as well.

It doesn't have as many nifty options, but it makes a usable DVD.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The DVD spec sets the maximum bitrate for all streams to 9.8Mbps. Although some players may be able to handle a higher bitrate, a higher bitrate would be non-DVD-compliant, and therefore some DVD authoring software will refuse to build the VOB files because of that. There is a tool out there for checking the bitrate of your mpg stream:

a href= http://www.tecoltd.com/bitratev.htm

I have read that this tool can also trim the peaks for you so that your stream will be DVD-compliant.

Lastly, an excellent resource for DVD authoring/burning is:

a href= http://www.doom9.net

Good Luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.