AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's an excellent thread under the HD DVD Software category on burning HD red-laser discs. Although many are interested in copying HDTV -- other's of us are interested in distributing our own 720p and 1080i work. The HD DVD solutions worked fine on the first gen Toshiba, but not on the second gen Toshiba.

Now that there is a plentiful supply of PS3 and a low-cost Samsung BD player, it looks we need to look at getting red-laser disc solutions working. In particular, something for the PS3.

1) I know that Sony AVCHD camcorders write HD to red-laser discs so in theory all BD (and maybe all HD DVD) players should be able play HD red-laser discs. Has anyone tried this?

2) A Japanese company has software that will take HD video and make a VC-1 file that can be played on a PS3. But you need to manually browse into the VIDEO folder. I assume this "browsing" can only be done on a PS3. Correct?

3) I understand that only the Samsung supports BD-R and BD-RW discs. But, since we are not trying to write on BD -- the question that MAY be more relevant is "what Folder/File Structure is necessary for a red-laser disc' contents be accepted as HD?" And, which players support this Folder/File Structure?

4) My MovieFactory 5 Plus software has BD creation software. Has anyone tried using it with red-laser discs? With BD drives?

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
If you shoot in HDV you can copy the raw files to DVD and the PS3 will play them without any problems. It remains untouched and it looks phenominal. This is something only the PS3 can do as far as I know.

Haven't tried or experimented with anything else yet.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Interesting.

What is the file extension for the 'raw' files from HDV?

·
Registered
7,060 Posts
Looks like there is a 2GB filesize limit & no AC3 Dolby Digital sound? I may have to try this...simply author a DL & a SL DVD+R MPG file and see if the PS3 will play it. If this works, it would be simpler that the red-laser HD DVDs I'm now authoring.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.