AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
10,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've rented this game for the PS2 and thought it looked incredible.....the problem is that for the most part, games on my PS2 look TERRIBLE on my bigscreen.

So terrible I keep the PS2 on a 27" TV, where it looks really good.

But Burnout is a game that demands a giant widescreen display :)

I'm almost tempted to buy the XBOX version when I see it on sale somewhere so that I can run it on my bigscreen..........I realize the PS2 version supports 480p and widescreen, are there any fundamental differences between the PS2 version and the XBOX version?

I believe reviews have said they are nearly identical, with no system having any real advantage over the other....true??

·
Registered
16,916 Posts
Actually from what I have seen first hand the Xbox version is graphically better than the PS2 [ they both play the same IMO ] .

------- Jason

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
The load time on Burnout 3 can sometimes be somewhat irritating, and this is another area which is better on the X-Box than on the PS2. While some folks have said that the sparks (particle effects) look a little better in some cases on the PS2, you'd still probably want to go with the X-Box version.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
The PS2 version actually has better graphical effects than the Xbox version. There's been a small controversy over the spark effects which are better on the PS2 version. Other advantages of the PS2 version is that it supports the force feedback wheel. Then there are online things to consider. PS2 is free online while Xbox requires Xbox Live. Also the last I checked, the Xbox version was having problems with Xbox Live servers when trying to find a game. Another thing to consider is the basic control scheme which I prefer on the Xbox. On the Xbox, the R trigger is your gas, and the A button is your boost. On the PS2, R1 is your boost and X is your gas. Not sure if that has been completely fixed yet. Both versions are pretty close, but there are advantages and disadvantages to each version.

·
Registered
10,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I shudder to think about playing this game, or any "arcade power-slide heavy" racing game with a FF wheel....

·
Registered
10,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Any upcoming super sales on this title?

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by HeadRusch
I shudder to think about playing this game, or any "arcade power-slide heavy" racing game with a FF wheel....
Eh? Just about every arcade racer in the arcade uses a force feedback wheel. Burnout isn't power-slide heavy either IMO. It's focus on power sliding is small compared to other racers like Ridge Racer and Outrun 2.

·
Registered
4,790 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Darknight
Eh? Just about every arcade racer in the arcade uses a force feedback wheel. Burnout isn't power-slide heavy either IMO. It's focus on power sliding is small compared to other racers like Ridge Racer and Outrun 2.
I power slide on every turn, to make sure I keep my boost up. :)

-JR

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I think steering wheels make racing games much harder to play than a control pad. And I have to agree, burnout is pretty slide heavy compared to many other racing games, espically when using the really fast cars.

·
Registered
10,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Let me rephrase what I was trying to say: A good racing sim requires a good wheel to negetoiate a turn properly....Gran Tourismo, some of the rally games, etc. A wheel is an advantage there because the level of control a wheel provides is almost required...

(I gave up on playing Gran Tourismo 3 on PS2 because after awhile its just impossible to play with a joypad...at least for me it is...). Well that and the game just isn't any fun :) (I find those racing track races to be utterly dull nowadays, give me the open roads and traffic of a NFS game any day).

Now, a game like Burnout, to ME, is a game designed for a joypad....a wheel would get in the way, I dont think I could make those snap-control changes with a FF wheel.....and even then, my arms would be ridiculously tired.

Also, using a wheel in the 3rd person view can get in a way a little bit...and I prefer to use those "chase cam" cameras when I drive as opposed to the "1 inch above the ground" view.....

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I'm not saying sliding isn't in the game, just the amount of effort and focus on sliding isn't. Again look at other racing games were power sliding plays a huge role in the game design and structure. Almost all racing games have power sliding to some degree, I just don't think it's a major part of the design when it comes to Burnout 3.

I think both arcade and sim racing games typically benefit from usage of a wheel. Again, look at Outrun 2 and Ridge Racer where you get the precision and control of the slide as well as the feedback to guage it. Power slide heavy racers typically have skill and control associated to the concept of sliding. That's not as true here despite the game having power slides.

Burnout 3 may be a twitch game, and it is more tiring with the wheel, but there are benefits to it and it is a whole different experience. I'm not saying a wheel is for everyone, but I wouldn't discount it either. Everyone plays their racers differently. Wheel vs pad, first person vs third person, etc.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Most of the xbox live problems have been ironed out from what I can tell. While xbox live isn't free it is pretty cheap and most people who are playing online and have an xbox already have it anyway and I believe any live game comes with a 3 month trial so its at least free for 3 months.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Burnout 3 IHMO is definitely a power slide hungry game. If you aren't powersliding through a turn, then you're losing boost. But then again I haven't played any home console game with any type of wheel since i have never been happy with any of the setups available at the time.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GamerHD
While xbox live isn't free it is pretty cheap and most people who are playing online and have an xbox already have it anyway and I believe any live game comes with a 3 month trial so its at least free for 3 months.
I cannot imagine a HT enthusiast worrying about $50 a year. This not a hobby for folks who balk at $50 :)

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I never said I didn't power slide. I said the game isn't designed with a focus on power sliding such as racing games like Ridge Racer and Outrun 2. Every version of Gran Turismo has power sliding in it, but that doesn't mean the game design focuses on it. I use power sliding as a tool in Burnout 3 but I would never think of the game as "arcade power-slide heavy" Again look at games like Ridge Racer and Outrun 2.

Nothru: I never said which version was better. I stated the differences. In case it was too wordy for you...

PS2 has the advantages of:

Free online play

Better graphic effects (note, that doesn't mean better graphics)

Force Feedback Wheel compatible

Now if none of those factors matter to you, then there's no reason to get the PS2 version over the Xbox. It's as simple as that.

Frank: I know some people with HDTV compatible TVs that are in college and the difference of free online play and paying for Xbox Live could mean a difference to them on a budget.

·
Registered
10,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Actually that Outrun demo that came on the last OXM disc definately tells me something is really wrong with Sega nad their development team....seriously, its 2004...who's going to buy Outrun???

It looks like the "PowerSliding" is only available on certain very-long turns...ie: I dont think you can powerslide the car on any old turn, at least I couldn't seem to do it on the Demo Disc.....but moreover I couldn't understand why anyone would run out to buy this game....it looks like you can complete it in about half an hour.

As for what I'm after, I'm not after Dick.....I asked an honest question. I've only tried the PS2 version, and wanted to hear from some XBOX owners who had the XBOX version or some folks who had both and done comparisons. I've tried the ps2 version and loved it, but I might BUY the xbox version because thats the system plugged into the bigscreen (as of this afternoon) :)

As for "Xbox games are always better" thats a load of ****.......up until this past year most xbox games were crap.......only now is the system finally catching up..

I'm letting my LIVE subscription run out in November because I just don't use the service, to me online was a fad that has run its course......

·
Registered
518 Posts
I'm going to buy Out Run 2. And you know what? I'm gonna f*cking LOVE it as well! Just like I f*cking love Gradius V on the PS2. But hey... it's 2004! Who cares about good games anymore? Bring on the mass-marketed-by-EA crap! Only mass-marketed games are good, right? To be honest I don't even care about games like GTA: SA or Grand Turdismo 4. I want games that I can just turn on and play, not games that I have to invest my life into.

As for Burnout 3, consider the following advantage of the Xbox version: CUSTOM SOUNDTRACKS! With the PS2 version if you want to listen to music, you have to listen to the whiny pimple-rock music EA provides to all of their games. With the Xbox's custom soundtrack feature, you can put on better music than EA provides, like country or polka. This will eventually cause the game to crash, as that is the way EA punishes you for not listening to their crap. But fortunately the crashes are pretty rare.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.