AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just curious if anyone here can tell me if one is a better choice than the other? I am waiting to get a Denon AVP-A1HDCI pre/pro and recently learned that it will use Burr Brown PCM1796 DAC's (4 per channel on all 12 output channels). This sounds like a great configuration, but just how good are Burr Brown DAC's, especially the PCM1796?

I ask this because about 6 years ago I used to own a Denon AVR-5800 receiver and it used Analog Devices DAC's (AD1853 I believe). I found the sound on the AVR-5800 to be superb with both 2 channel and multichannel. So now that I'm reading that Denon has switched from Analog Devices to Burr Brown, I'm a little concerned as to how this will affect the sound.

The DAC's in the 5800 sounded smooth and a bit on the warm side, which is what I really like. I am not too familiar with how Burr Brown DAC's sound. What would the sonics be described as sounding? Warm, neutral, etc.? I am asking because I use an all Martin Logan speaker system and am curious if the chips are going to be a good match sonically.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
16,876 Posts
My view:

The DACs on these components cost the manufacturer pennies. I think that all too often the question of which sounds best is answered on the basis of which DACs may be "better". There are other components within these devices that are also determinants of their overall 'sound quality'.

All other things being equal, theoretically, yes, you would want to use the "better" DACs. However, you may actually find that you prefer the sound of the "lesser" DACs. Fact is, it's hard to simply compare ONLY the DACs of 2 different components. There are just too many other variables involved that can't be eliminated in order to assure that you are ONLY comparing the DACs. And even if you COULD remove all the variables, and even if you COULD hear a difference, choosing which "difference" you preferred would most likely be difficult, at best. if not impossible. One DAC may sound better with CD#1 while the other may sound better with CD#2. How many CDs would you have to compare before you were satisfied that you KNEW which sounded better?

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
I have an Onkyo 805, uses BB-1796.

It sounds Neuteral/ warm.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
The actual analog section and total system integration is more important than what model of D/A chip is used.

Fanboyz, I have never heard anyone call an Onkyo warm sounding....what are you comparing it to?

·
Registered
16,876 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynberg /forum/post/12941860

Fanboyz, I have never heard anyone call an Onkyo warm sounding....what are you comparing it to?

He said it's neutered.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I agree with rynberg. Preamplifier and amplifier stage is the most important stage in any receiver. You can have the best DAC on the market and hook it too a crappy preamp and amp and it will sound crappy. Take an ok DAC and hook it to a good preamp and amp, it will sound good. That's the major reason I don't like Onkyo. They boast the latest technology for low price but their amps sound like cheap crap. But aren't you glad you can decode Dolby TrueHD internally?

·
Registered
5,790 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Audio /forum/post/12942586

I agree with rynberg. Preamplifier and amplifier stage is the most important stage in any receiver. You can have the best DAC on the market and hook it too a crappy preamp and amp and it will sound crappy. Take an ok DAC and hook it to a good preamp and amp, it will sound good. That's the major reason I don't like Onkyo. They boast the latest technology for low price but their amps sound like cheap crap. But aren't you glad you can decode Dolby TrueHD internally?

Aren't you glad it's hard to set up level-matched double blind tests of amps and preamps? Because if they were easy to do, people would have less opportunity to call gear 'crap'.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts

Quote:
Aren't you glad it's hard to set up level-matched double blind tests of amps and preamps? Because if they were easy to do, people would have less opportunity to call gear 'crap'.

I have a Sony ES AVR that I use for pre-amp, and I am confident in calling it "crap" because of the noticeable coloration and outright distortion it adds, compared to hooking a known signal straight into the power amp. If I had to do it again, I'd rather get a Denon!

Anyway, Burr-Brown had some advanced DAC techniques back in the early days which made them the knees bees for high-quality gear. These days, the cheap stuff from a low-cost vendor like Realtek is probably going to be at least as good as the Burr-Browns were back then. However, I don't think BB have lost anything since being bought by Texas Instruments, so it's a perfectly fine choice for your gear, ohyeah32, and I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

·
Registered
775 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by krabapple /forum/post/12952910

Aren't you glad it's hard to set up level-matched double blind tests of amps and preamps? Because if they were easy to do, people would have less opportunity to call gear "good".

1 - 10 of 10 Posts