AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My kid slammed into my Paradigm PS-1200 and left quite a dent (See pic of right after accident). I was able to use a bathroom plunger to remove most of the dent; however, the sub now makes a violent rumble whenever there's bass in a movie I'm watching.

1) Is there any hope to fix it? If so, how?
2) It's 20 years old. So, if a fix isn't worth the cost, any recommendations on a replacement? I have two Paradigm front towers and a Paradigm center. Primarily watch movies and play video games, with occasional music listening. Budget ideally under $600

Attachments

·
Registered
582 Posts
looks like just the dust cone.

you may be able to poke a tiny hole with a pin and put a bent pin in there and pull the dent out.

IF you dont want to do that, it shouldn’t affect the performance at all.

sorry for your damage.....kids will be kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: darthray

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
looks like just the dust cone.

you may be able to poke a tiny hole with a pin and put a bent pin in there and pull the dent out.

IF you dont want to do that, it shouldn’t affect the performance at all.

sorry for your damage.....kids will be kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It does look only the dust cone, and would use carefully a vacuum cleaner adapter myself. That said, there is always one more potential possibility. See my response to the OP:)

My kid slammed into my Paradigm PS-1200 and left quite a dent (See pic of right after accident). I was able to use a bathroom plunger to remove most of the dent; however, the sub now makes a violent rumble whenever there's bass in a movie I'm watching.

1) Is there any hope to fix it? If so, how?
2) It's 20 years old. So, if a fix isn't worth the cost, any recommendations on a replacement? I have two Paradigm front towers and a Paradigm center. Primarily watch movies and play video games, with occasional music listening. Budget ideally under $600
I agree with Matthew, it does look only like the dust cap.

That said, there is always the possibility of the suspension of your driver got some damage. To check that, gently push the woofer driver in and let it come back out. While having your ear very near to it. If no weird sound happen, it is only the dust cap. And won't affect your sound, but if any small grinding sound occur during this quick check. Some internal damage did occur, and could be from the suspension system or the spider (Piston motor).

If it is the case of damage, I would look into a new sub seen you present. Have long paid it duty, since 20 years is a very long time for a sub.

Darth

·
Registered
466 Posts
If it is damaged and if you want to keep the enclosure you could call Paradigm and see what a replacement woofer would cost. I replaced a few speaker components in my Paradigms before I sold them. The cost wasn’t that bad.
If you decide to buy something new then I would suggest looking at Parts Express and the Dayton powered 15” subwoofers. A very good bang for your $, staying at or under $600. Or if you have it in you to do a little DIY and raise your budget, you could build your own subwoofer using a kit from Parts Express.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It does look only the dust cone, and would use carefully a vacuum cleaner adapter myself. That said, there is always one more potential possibility. See my response to the OP:)

I agree with Matthew, it does look only like the dust cap.

That said, there is always the possibility of the suspension of your driver got some damage. To check that, gently push the woofer driver in and let it come back out. While having your ear very near to it. If no weird sound happen, it is only the dust cap. And won't affect your sound, but if any small grinding sound occur during this quick check. Some internal damage did occur, and could be from the suspension system or the spider (Piston motor).

If it is the case of damage, I would look into a new sub seen you present. Have long paid it duty, since 20 years is a very long time for a sub.

Darth
Thanks. Here's a picture after I used a bathroom plunger on it :)

I tried pressing in & out on the front. Here's what sound it was making (no idea if it's indicative of anything):
https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=XZyq8dkZdNofR9u64kLNVG9uelpKLVFJ2B7y

Attachments

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
Thanks. Here's a picture after I used a bathroom plunger on it :)

I tried pressing in & out on the front. Here's what sound it was making (no idea if it's indicative of anything):
https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=XZyq8dkZdNofR9u64kLNVG9uelpKLVFJ2B7y
While you did an excellent job to fix your cone:)

That is the sound of a damage driver suspension, therefore your sub is now requiring a new driver. Sorry to be the bearer of the bad news:(
On the good side, you did had 20 years to enjoy-it. And now have an excuse to shop for a new one, since all these years is a very long time for a sub:D

Darth

·
Registered
7,943 Posts
When you start shopping for a new sub (or 2), I would look for something with metal grill. SVS isn't the best bang for the buck, however, SVS makes quite a few subs with metal grills. The best bang for buck probably belongs to HSU.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When you start shopping for a new sub (or 2), I would look for something with metal grill. SVS isn't the best bang for the buck, however, SVS makes quite a few subs with metal grills. The best bang for buck probably belongs to HSU.
Thanks JD23 and spy boy for the replacement recommendations! Is there a vendor for HSU or SVS that you like or just go with whomever is cheapest on Google Shopping?

·
Premium Member
647 Posts

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
Please try to buy directly from these companies, they sell internet direct for the most part, which is why they have good value, there is no retail markup on their prices.

http://www.hsuresearch.com/subwoofers.html

https://www.svsound.com/collections/subwoofers
+1

Thanks JD23 and spy boy for the replacement recommendations! Is there a vendor for HSU or SVS that you like or just go with whomever is cheapest on Google Shopping?
As @Jawaburger said, they are Internet Direct companies. The reason they can offer superior subs for the same price, compare to a brick and mortar store.

If you are living outside the continental states (USA), SVS has the advantage of having many distributers, through out the word.
That said, many others ID companies like HSU. Will ship anywhere, but a quote is recommended for shipping cost. And did it many time myself, living in Canada.

Just adding a few more brands to look into, are Rythmik and PSA;
http://www.rythmikaudio.com/products.html
https://www.powersoundaudio.com/

SVS, Rythmik and PSA. Are know to have the best Customer Service, for fast reply and taking care of you. While HSU is one of the greatest value, on a tight budget.
The first thing to do, is set a budget for your space area. Since sub/s try to fill all the spaces, open to your listening area. And do some research for your best need, while keeping in mind a second sub might be require in the future if you have a big area to fill.

Darth

1 - 11 of 11 Posts