AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, I know it's an old issue, but I'm really going mad with this hum...

so far I've:

a) unplugged the antenna cable from the tv.

b) used a different ac outlet for the amp and the receiver.

c) used all kinds of cables from cheap rca to shielded ones.

d) connected the amp to the receiver using the samson s-convert with the balanced inputs.

e) used a rca ground loop isolator (it even screws up the sound).

None of the above helps ! when I connect the amp to the outlet without the ground prong, the

hum is lower in level, but it's still there. only when I cut the connection between the receiver and the

amp, the hum is gone. if I connect say, a mp3 player to the amp, there is no hum and everything

sounds ok (only bass that is).

any thoughts?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
With no inputs connected, does it still hum?

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Doh! Sorry. One of two things then. Either for some reason the 60hz is in the signal itself, an unwanted process in the receiver, or your ground isolator has a manufacturing defect. They definitely isolate the two units. I can not see how this could happen, but???

Have you tried a different amp for the sub, maybe just an old receiver or something to see if it happens with that?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually you mean 50hz :) and no, I didn't try to connect a different amp since

I don't have one...

·
Registered
5,828 Posts

Quote:
is the separate ac outlet on the same breaker?

Check that out. Hum has caused me problems in the past with the isolator only making things worse. Sep breaker was my answer, not all the time though. Good luck! A hum is a bummer.

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
I never had any hum noise in the past. But last week I switched my Toshiba HD player from fiber optical cable to HDMI and got the dreaded hum. I guess the fiber optic cable is all plastic touching plastic, so I never had issues.

But now, even with the reciever off and the Toshiba player on, it will make the subs hum a bit.

So I'm back to fiber optic for now.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
Did you try running a chasis gound strap between the affected components?

Just take a simple plain jane wire and loosen a screw on the case of the amp and wrap the stripped wire around it and tighten it down then run the other end to the receiver chassis or wherever. This will give the ground another less resistive path and remove it from the signal path. This is the only thing that helped with my pro amp and buttkicker amp.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmst3 /forum/post/15475305

Did you try running a chasis gound strap between the affected components?

Just take a simple plain jane wire and loosen a screw on the case of the amp and wrap the stripped wire around it and tighten it down then run the other end to the receiver chassis or wherever. This will give the ground another less resistive path and remove it from the signal path. This is the only thing that helped with my pro amp and buttkicker amp.

I tried, it didn't work. I plan on chaning the amp anyway...

·
Registered
8,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazooM /forum/post/15486855

I tried, it didn't work. I plan on chaning the amp anyway...

Hmmm, that is indeed a stubborn hum.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I have the same problem with my Crown CE1000..... I tried everything as you have and still it hums... I also used a plate amp off an old sub and had no hum.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Sounds like an amp defect. Probably a good thing. Dump that amp before it catches on fire. The thing is a hazard. It's also a high distortion and overall crappy amp.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts