AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just from looking at the specs (haven't actually heard one) but I would think more people building diy subs would use the buttkicker bka1000 amp with their subs. 1000 watts into 4 ohms and 1900 at 2 ohms. Not a terrible price with it, seems like its about the same price as EP2500. Why don't more people use this amp? Not quite as available as the EP2500?

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I think it is better employed as a shaker amp (for which it was designed) than a subwoofer amp. I know, I had one. I also managed to let the magic smoke out of it.

Customer support was good, and I got a replacement. I will use it to shake my couch sometime. In the meantime, I bought a ep2500. Much more power, cleaner.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post11032546

·
Registered
269 Posts
The smoking was just a few of them and they listed the serial numbers of the effected ones. I used to have one before my ep2500 and loved it, mainly for the auto on feature. Sure it has higher distortion than most other amps but i bet very very few people would really notice it. If they are the same price get the ep2500, if they bk is alot cheaper, go with it.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
Ya, I think there was some over reaction to the distortion and burnup issues.

There are undoubtedly many thousands of these things in homes around the world including mine and I have not had any issues whatsoever. I had originally experimented with it as a sub amp and when not pushed to its limits it wasn't too bad. It is certainly an alternative to a $300 500w plate amp.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looking at the actual measured specs and not having looked into the buttkicker's specs as closely as needed, it seems like the ep2500 is a much better amp. Looks like ~1300 watts at 20 hz at 8 ohms. Pretty good. Will have to look into buying one of these unless someone else has a better suggestion. I know there are better amps, but this is really over my price range in the first place. Right now running only 150-200 watts into a ED 19Ov.2. Looking for around 1000.

·
Registered
36 Posts
sounds like the ep2500 is the logical choice.

There is the dayton HPSA1000-R, but the amp tests in that link show it doesn't come near it's rated output.

what about the eD LT/1300 1300w plate amp?

·
Registered
8,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonnash /forum/post/15597270

Looking at the actual measured specs and not having looked into the buttkicker's specs as closely as needed, it seems like the ep2500 is a much better amp. Looks like ~1300 watts at 20 hz at 8 ohms. Pretty good. Will have to look into buying one of these unless someone else has a better suggestion. I know there are better amps, but this is really over my price range in the first place. Right now running only 150-200 watts into a ED 19Ov.2. Looking for around 1000.

No question, the pro amps are going to be better, even the Ep2500.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhlh /forum/post/15597494

what about the eD LT/1300 1300w plate amp?

At that price (about the same, maybe a little more depending on where you get the ep2500) it would have to over-perform the rated specs to match the 2500.

Guess I'll start hitting the overtime hard and checking ebay for it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts