Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have the Buttkicker & BKA1000-4A amp, as well as the Onkyo 805

Receiver & Harmony 880. Currently I need to manually turn the amp on &

off everytime I would like to use it, as it cannot be controlled by my

Harmony 880. The Onkyo does have the capability to connect a power cord

of other components, but since the switch only has a 1 amp max, it would only

work for a cooling fan or something along those lines.

Does anyone have a solution on how I can automatically turn on & off the

BKA1000-4A instead of manually? I would like to just leave the

Buttkicker in the "on" position & have the Onkyo 805 turn it on & off when

I do the same with the Harmony 880. In another thread someone suggested

that there are solenoids (very low current draw) that could be connected to

the 805 outlet to switch the amp, but I am having difficulty locating one

specific to this need?

Also, are there any Buttkicker owners that just leave it on 24/7, since

it looks like its in a standby status (red light), til its actually in use, (green light).

Any working suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Per the user manual:
Quote:
Power Light

Red indicates presence of AC power, but no signal. Green indicates presence of both AC power and signal;

power is applied to all the amplifier circuits and the amplifier is ready to operate. After 20 minutes of no

input signal the amplifier will revert to a low power Standby condition.

I manually turn my Buttkicker amp on and off, but I don't use it all the time, either. I do leave my 7 channel amp on almost all the time. I think you should just leave it on rather than try to turn it on/off with a remote.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, thanks for the info! I would prefer to just leave it on at all times, but wasn't sure if it would decrease the life expectancy of the unit or pose any sort of safety concerns. Do most Buttkicker owners just leave it on standby when not in use?

Steve

·
Registered
1,879 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitchell24 /forum/post/13000774

Okay, thanks for the info! I would prefer to just leave it on at all times, but wasn't sure if it would decrease the life expectancy of the unit or pose any sort of safety concerns. Do most Buttkicker owners just leave it on standby when not in use?

Steve

Yes, if you want the amp turn on whenever you using your system than it is best to just leave the unit turned on all the time. It will eventually go into standby mode when no signal is present.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have been wondering the same thing. I came across this:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=248-763

which sounded like it would work. I have not bought one yet as I wanted to make sure I understood how it worked first. Unless the box part plugs into an outlet then I don't see where the main power comes from. I wonder how long the trigger cord is too?

I'm afraid to leave my BK amps on since they are made in China and had some reports of catching on fire at one time. Guitammer claims that the problem has been identified and fixed, which I believe, but Chinese QC scares me (maybe there was too much lead in the wire insulation?).

·
Registered
485 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexthem /forum/post/13006666

I have been wondering the same thing. I came across this:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=248-763

which sounded like it would work. I have not bought one yet as I wanted to make sure I understood how it worked first. Unless the box part plugs into an outlet then I don't see where the main power comes from. I wonder how long the trigger cord is too?

I'm afraid to leave my BK amps on since they are made in China and had some reports of catching on fire at one time. Guitammer claims that the problem has been identified and fixed, which I believe, but Chinese QC scares me (maybe there was too much lead in the wire insulation?).

Try a Monster cable power bar(or panamax ht8-pro) HTS 1000 MKII with 12volt trigger.

·
Premium Member
26,161 Posts
I stumbled across this thread....why? cause my buttkicker amp caught on fire. Fortunately, my trip out of town got cancelled...otherwise, my wife and son would never had ventured back to the HT room. To say it gave me pause is an understatement.

What low cost amp alternatives are there? I've used a crown amp in the past, but had to have an small RCA reciever inbetween the crown and the buttkicker. I'd like an amp with a small footprint (since it sits behind my couch) and doens't require a another reciever within the loop.

Thanks

Ron

·
Registered
431 Posts
I have this same setup and mine stays on 24/7. For some reason my avm 20 mames the remote turn on stay on all the time. I"ve had this set up for over a year so my amp stays on. Sounds like I need to take another look at this.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster /forum/post/13687457

I stumbled across this thread....why? cause my buttkicker amp caught on fire. Fortunately, my trip out of town got cancelled...otherwise, my wife and son would never had ventured back to the HT room. To say it gave me pause is an understatement.

What low cost amp alternatives are there? I've used a crown amp in the past, but had to have an small RCA reciever inbetween the crown and the buttkicker. I'd like an amp with a small footprint (since it sits behind my couch) and doens't require a another reciever within the loop.

Thanks

Ron

So what was the serial number on your BK amp? I heard that at one point the BK company listed a few serial numbers for recall purposes.

·
Premium Member
26,161 Posts
Thanks Frank. I'll have to take a look at it. I think I will call BK tomorrow to see what if anything they will do about it. Since I bought it in the secondary market, I do not expect any warranty service etc. But, you never know?

Ron

·
Registered
6,288 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster /forum/post/13688102

Thanks Frank. I'll have to take a look at it. I think I will call BK tomorrow to see what if anything they will do about it. Since I bought it in the secondary market, I do not expect any warranty service etc. But, you never know?

Ron

In my experience, Buttkicker customer service is second to none. If you tell them what happened, I have no doubt they'll take care of you.

·
Registered
16,934 Posts
I leave my amp on 24/7. My original amp did smoke and burn out due to the knowm defect, but BK was well aware of it and took care of me by sending a new amp and assured me the problem had been found and solved. Fantastic customer service.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I emailed them, does any body know the s/n range. Mine is about A 1 1/2 old and have left it on 24/7 its because the auto sense says on unless I manually turn it off or remove my preamp cable hooked up to my avm20.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by T100 /forum/post/13690908

I emailed them, does any body know the s/n range. Mine is about A 1 1/2 old and have left it on 24/7 its because the auto sense says on unless I manually turn it off or remove my preamp cable hooked up to my avm20.

What is the serial number of your unit?

·
Premium Member
26,161 Posts
My serial # is A51003816. Yes, mine was part of the recall. I just got off the phone with BK. Even though I was a secondary user, they are sending out a new unit today, along with a prepaid UPS tag.

Frank....Thanks again for the information and insight.....it saved me $270+ from having to buy new.

Ron

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've had mine for about a year & 1/2 with no problems. i do not leave it an 24/7 can anyone tell me what thay keep their dials at on the amp.

DOES ANYONE HAVE A LINK TO THE RECALL INFO

Thanks

bueller

1 - 20 of 24 Posts