AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,970 Posts
If by "hi-fi system" you mean music only, I wouldn't use them. The deepest organ note or biggest bass drum should cause the air to shudder, but not your couch. Now, in a home theater, I think they would be great fun and would love to install some myself.

·
Registered
17,360 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky636 /forum/post/18123515

If by "hi-fi system" you mean music only, I wouldn't use them. The deepest organ note or biggest bass drum should cause the air to shudder, but not your couch. Now, in a home theater, I think they would be great fun and would love to install some myself.

+1. For music, no need. However for movies, even with multiple subs (I am running 3 PB13s and a 12/2 Ultra) and even in a "hi-fi system" BKs add an element the subs cant. Well worth it for movies/games

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky636 /forum/post/18123515

I meant a high-end system.

I am actually currently using buttkickers and they are working "fine" other than the rattling noise they make when they shake. However, that is likely due to my very poor installation skills.

I heard there are some cons to buttkickers in accurate sound reproduction. I was curious whether there is any truth to that. I am also curious if a buttkicker has anything to offer even for movies when you have a truely high-end set up with 2 submersives and 2 terraforms.

·
Premium Member
15,585 Posts
I am using a Crowson Tactile Motion System:
http://crowsontech.com/go/crowsontec...opDefault.aspx

driven by a Buttkicker BKA-1000:
http://www.thebuttkicker.com/home_th.../bka1000-n.htm

I have the High Cutoff set at 40 Hz.

My HT is in the basement, on concrete. The only way I can get tactile response is with a tactile transducer. There is no subwoofer that can shake a concrete floor. I have considered building a riser to see if I could get tactile response, but I am concerned about it being a trip-hazard in the dark in my HT.

I leave the Crowson on during music playback. I enjoy the subtle vibrations it adds with deep bass and kick drum/tympani. For HT, there is *nothing* better than the tactile response added to the couch shaking. I have terrific output and infrasonic capability from my pair of Submersives. Still even they can't shake the concrete floor. The Crowson does a great job of adding the tactile response.

I have several friends with 2nd floor HT's on suspended floors. They get incredible tactile response without any kind of shaker/transducer simply from acoustic coupling to the floor from their sub systems. Still they have no "control" over the output, and it is very much frequency dependant, (IOW, the floor has a resonance frequency and it will vibrate much stronger at that frequency than at other frequencies.) My Crowson adds motion at all frequencies below 40 Hz, and I can "feel" the difference between a 35 Hz motion and a 20 Hz, (or lower) motion.

The Crowson has a specified FR of 1 Hz to 600 Hz. The Buttkicker amp goes to 5 Hz. I set the Low Cutoff to Off. As I said, I set the High Cutoff to 40 Hz. Therefore I get motion only on from 5 to 40 Hz. I find motion above 40 Hz to be artificial and distracting. Nonetheless, I really enjoy the Crowson Motion Actuator in my system for both music and HT.

Craig

·
Registered
5,970 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd_newbie /forum/post/18123577

I am actually currently using buttkickers and they are working "fine" other than the rattling noise they make when they shake. However, that is likely due to my very poor installation skills.

I heard there are some cons to buttkickers in accurate sound reproduction. I was curious whether there is any truth to that. I am also curious if a buttkicker has anything to offer even for movies when you have a truely high-end set up with 2 submersives and 2 terraforms.

Again, what do you mean by "high-end system"?

If music only, my answer remains "no".

If movies, my answer remains "yes".

Buttkickers should have no impact on the sound unless you are hearing vibrations caused by them. When you are calibrating your system it is recommended that they be turned off to avoid vibrations which may be transmitted through the floor to the calibration mic. You want to feel them, not hear them.

·
Premium Member
15,585 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky636 /forum/post/18123890

For music I would agree and I would probably not use Buttkickers for music either. However, I *do* use my Crowson for music. The Crowson is not just a "shaker", but a motion actuator that adds a subtle, sympathetic vibration on some of the deepest bass notes. I find the Crowson enhances music.

Craig

·
Registered
5,970 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd_newbie /forum/post/18124005

System in a fully-treated room with good in room response and with multiple and very good subwoofers that can go very low and high.

All you have told us is what your room is like. With what source do you want to use the Buttkickers?

Once again:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky636 /forum/post/18123890

If movies, my answer remains "yes".

·
Registered
17,360 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd_newbie /forum/post/18123577

I am also curious if a buttkicker has anything to offer even for movies when you have a truely high-end set up with 2 submersives and 2 terraforms.

YES, refer to my first post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd_newbie /forum/post/18124118

For movies.

but yes I got your answer

YES, you will get benefit from the BKs (assuming you install them well which makes a big difference) that your subs wont give you. I have some good subs as well (and so do many others on here that use BKs) in a small room with good response and like I said the BKs add an element to movies/games that the subs cant. One thing that comes to mind right off the bat is this imploding couch type sensation (REALLY cool when this happens) that the BKs provide that the subs simply dont do, even as much as they shake the couch on their own. That is just one example.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.